The Routledge Modern German Reader is designed for intermediate and advanced learners of German. It provides a clear and engaging introduction to reading authentic German language texts for learners who wish to move beyond elementary course material to more rewarding works of fiction and non-fiction.
- twenty-eight readings, graded according to difficulty, beginning with shorter, simpler texts and progressing to longer, more complex texts
- fourteen literary texts, written by well-known writers from German-speaking countries, on universal themes and fourteen non-literary texts from magazines, newspapers and the internet, featuring a range of engaging topics relating to culture, society and history
- varied, contextualized pre- and post- reading exercises designed to stimulate discussion, develop comprehension strategies, expand and refine vocabulary, and foster awareness of grammatical structures as they occur in authentic contexts
- a German-English glossary with separate vocabulary lists for each chapter and a complete answer key available at www.routledge.com/products/9781138898035
Suitable for both classroom use and independent study, The Routledge Modern German Reader provides insights into the culture of German-speaking countries while also acting as a stimulus to further independent reading. It is an essential tool for developing vocabulary and increasing reading proficiency.
Table of Contents
1. Fernweh und Flucht 2. Alltag und Traum 3. Gesellschaft und Einsamkeit 4. Verliebtheit und Sehnsucht 5. Liebeskummer und Melancholie 6. Misstrauen und Obsession 7. Ehrlichkeit und Betrug 8. Gesellschaftsordnung und Identität 9. Aussenseiter und Unterdrücker 10. Freiheit und Wende 11. Stereotype und Humor 12. Wahrnehmung und Verstand 13. Wohngemeinschaften 14. Dunkelrestaurants 15. Ernährung und Klima 16. MultiKulti 17. Glücklichsein 18. Die Eisbach-Welle 19. Das Oktoberfest 20. Freikörperkultur
Maryann Overstreet is Professor and Chair of German at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa.
To gain access to the instructor resources for this title, please visit the Instructor Resources Download Hub.
You will be prompted to fill out a registration form which will be verified by one of our sales reps.