192 pages | 27 B/W Illus.
The Science of Judo is the first book to set out and discuss the science, coaching and history behind judo performance. Evidence-based and informed by the latest research, the book offers practical guidance on preparing athletes for high performance and understanding the core tenets of sport science underpinning it.
Featuring contributions from world-leading experts, the book consists of chapters on all aspects of judo performance, including:
Clearly written and accessible, The Science of Judo provides upper-level students and researchers, and coaches and sport science staff working with judoka, with the most thorough and authoritative reference on sport science applied to judo currently available.
Part 1: History and Education
1. Historical Development of Judo
Mike Callan and Slavisa Bradic
2. Judo as A Physical, Intellectual and Moral Education
3. Kata Training for Judo: Value and Application of Judo Kata to Judo Training
Slaviša Bradić and Mike Callan
4. Judo Injuries Epidemiology and Prevention
Part 2: Development
5. Judo for children
6. Talent identification, development, and the young judo player
George Bountakis, Yusuke Kanamaru and Andrew Burns
7. The Skill Acquisition Process for Judo - Building to A Constraints Led Approach
Darren Warner and Yusuke Kanamaru
8. Considerations for the Female Judoka
Xanne Janse de Jonge
Part 3: Competition
9. Competition Demands of Judo
Xanne Janse de Jonge
10. Athlete-Centred Coaching
11. Periodization and Planning of Training for Judo
12. Physical Preparation for Judo
Andrew Burns, Ben Rosenblatt and Allan Macdonald
13. Psychological Preparation for the Judoka
Rebeka Prosoli and Renata Baric
14. Notational Analysis for Judo
Bob Challis and Leonardo José Mataruna-Dos-Santos
15 Biomechanics of Judo
16. Nutrition and weight management for judo
The Routledge Research in Sport and Exercise Science series is a showcase for cutting-edge research from across the sport and exercise sciences, including physiology, psychology, biomechanics, motor control, physical activity and health, and every core sub-discipline. Featuring the work of established and emerging scientists and practitioners from around the world, and covering the theoretical, investigative and applied dimensions of sport and exercise, this series is an important channel for new and ground-breaking research in the human movement sciences.