This volume provides informative research on the scientific evidence of the health benefits that can be derived from medicinal plants and how their efficacies can be improved. It is divided into three sections that cover the phytochemistry of medicinal plants, disease management with medicinal plants, and novel research techniques in medicinal plants. The pharmacological benefits of several specific plants are discussed, addressing health issues such as metabolic and mental disorders, acute mountain sickness, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and specific diseases such as Huntington’s. It also looks at the role of antioxidants in disease management. Additionally, the book covers recent problems of drug resistance and how medicinal plants can serve as antibiotic, anthelmintic, and antiparasitic drugs that will be helpful for human and animals.
Part 1: Phytochemistry Of Medicinal Plants
1. Antioxidant Agents from Green Leafy Vegetables: A Review
Abiola Fatimah Adenowo, Muhibah Folashade Ilori, and Mutiu Idowu Kazeem
2. Carpobrotus edulis L. (Sour Fig): Phytochemistry, Pharmacology, and Toxicology
Francis N. Nkede, Simeon A. Materechera, and Wilfred Otang-Mbeng
3. Phytochemistry, Pharmacology, and Safety Issues of Essential Oils: Applications in Aromatherapy
Anindya Sundar Ray, Suman Kalyan Mandal, and Chowdhury Habibur Rahaman
4. Extraction and Therapeutic Potential of Essential Oils: A Review
Part 2: Disease Management With Medicinal Plants
5. Therapeutic Potential of Ocimum tenuiflorum L.: Metabolic and Mental Disorders
Nishikant A. Raut, Dadasaheb M. Kokare, and Gail B. Mahady
6. Antimicrobial Compounds from Medicinal Plants: Effects on Antibiotic Resistance to Human Pathogens
Olutoyin Omolara Bamigboye and Idowu Jesulayomi Adeosun
7. Plant-Based Natural Products against Huntington’s Disease: Preclinical and Clinical Studies
Banadipa Nanda et al.
8. Pathophysiology and Management of Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS)
Kushal Kumar, Kalpana Kumari Barwal, and Sunil Kumar Hota
9. Antihelmintic Properties of Allium sativum L.: Effect on Fecal Egg Count of West African Dwarf (WAD) Rams
Azeez Olanrewaju Yusuf and Ganiyat Abiolaol adunmoye
10. Buriti (Mauritia flexuosa L.) Oil Supplementation: Effects on Oxidative Stress and Hormonal Concentrations in Male Wistar Rats
Boitumelo Rosemary Mosito, Nicole Lisa Brooks, and Yapo Guillaume Aboua
11. Herbal Management for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Huma Bader Ul Ain et al.
12. Role of Herbal Medicines during Pregnancy and Labor
Fanuel Lampiao et al.
Part 3: Novel Research Techniques In Medicinal Plants
13. Omics Technology: Novel Approach for Screening of Plant-Based Traditional Medicines
Rojita Mishra, Satpal Singh Bisht, and Mahendra Rana
14. Automatic Recognition and Classification of Medicinal Plants: A Review
Olugbenga Kayode Ogidan and Abiodun Emmanuel Onile
15. Nanoparticle-Based Delivery of Plant Metabolites
Shesan John Owonubi, Emmanuel Mukwevho, and Neerish Revaprasadu