This book takes a unique look at the first Boer war by concentrating on the events and battles of the First Boer War. Due attention is also given to the 2nd Boer War - it's origins, key players and significance for the future of South Africa. The personal stories of heroism and sacrifice, sieges, rebellions and battles, make for an enthralling and dramatic tale - a classic of military history that will find a ready audience amongst military enthusiasts.
Preface: A Clash of Military Cultures
1. The Imperial Factor and the Transvaal
2. The situation in the Transvaal Territory in 1880 and the outbreak of rebellion
3. The Boer and the British military systems
4. In open rebellion: the Boers seize the military initiative
5. 'Cribbed, cabined, confined, bound-in': the blockaded garrisons
6. The Natal Field Force
7. Laing's Nek
9. Seeking a way out of the war
11. Peace and betrayal
Conclusion: 'Remember Majuba!'