The Trump Administration
The President’s Legacy Within and Beyond America
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after April 28, 2022
The Trump presidency has been one of the most eventful and controversial in American history, with consequences for the governance and policy of the United States and beyond. While Trump left office claiming a long list of ‘Trump Administration Accomplishments’, his time in office was also marked by a hailstorm of criticism. But beyond the sensationalist tweets and news stories, what policy effects did he bring?
This volume provides an extensive and authoritative set of studies evaluating Donald Trump’s impact on American society and beyond. It provides a new layered framework for assessing the policy impact of leaders, which can be used for understanding presidential and prime ministerial leadership more widely. Chapters then explore his impact on American democracy, congress, the supreme court, the economy, the covid pandemic, the environment, American soft power, the international system and more.
The chapters in this book were originally published as a special issue of the journal, Policy Studies.
Table of Contents
Toby S. James
Part I: Introductory Framework
1. Assessing the policy effects of political leaders: a layered framework
Toby S. James
Part II: Societal Structures
2. America after Trump: from "clean" to "dirty" democracy?
Roberto Stefan Foa and Yascha Mounk
3. Trump and the "deep state"
Robert B. Horwitz
4. "Trump and racial equality in America? No pretense at all!"
Paula D. McClain
5. The visual politics and policy of Donald Trump
Part III: Political Institutions
6. Trump and Congress
Laura Ellyn Smith
7. Trump’s lasting impact on the federal judiciary
Christine L. Nemacheck
8. Donald Trump's impact on the Republican Party
Part IV: Domestic Policy
9. The macroeconomic impact of Trump
Benjamin Born, Gernot J. Müller, Moritz Schularick and Petr Sedláček
10. Trump’s (mis)management of the COVID-19 pandemic in the US
Naim Kapucu and Donald Moynihan
11. The environmental legacy of President Trump
12. Trump’s authoritarian neoliberal governance and the US-Mexican border
Michelle Keck and Monica Clua-Losada
13. President Trump’s transgender moral panic
Christopher Pepin-Neff and Aaron Cohen
Part V: International Policy
14. Donald Trump’s Jacksonian and Jeffersonian foreign policy
Jan Niklas Rolf
15. Trump and US soft power
Myunghee Kim and Jonathan O. Knuckey
16. The Trump administration and China: policy continuity or transformation?
Edward Ashbee and Steven Hurst
17. Cybersecurity policy and the Trump administration
18. Trump, trust and the transatlantic relationship
Kristian L. Nielsen and Anna Dimitrova
Part VI: Conclusions for Theory and the Presidency
19. The effects of Donald Trump
Toby S. James
Toby S. James is Professor of Politics and Public Policy at the University of East Anglia, UK. He is the co-Director of the Electoral Integrity Project and Editor-in-Chief of Policy Studies. His most recent books are Comparative Electoral Management and Building Inclusive Elections (edited with Holly Ann Garnett).
"Provides an essential guide by a first rate group of contributors assessing the legacy of the Trump Administration in transforming politics and policy in America."
- Professor Pippa Norris, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, USA
"An interesting, intriguing and diverse collection of papers which brings lots of insight to the analysis of the social, political, economic, cultural and environmental consequences – short and longer term – of this most unusual and unprecedented of Presidencies."
- Professor Colin Hay, Sciences Po, Paris, France & SPERI, University of Sheffield, UK
"All presidents leave a mark. The Trump presidency burned at a particularly high temperature, and this volume begins the important scholarly task of sifting through the embers while they are still warm."
- Dr. Dennis Grube, Reader in Politics and Public Policy, University of Cambridge, UK