Meet the challenge of operating a successful art library!
The Twenty-First Century Art Librarian examines the unique challenges and vital administrative issues that are at the forefront of current art librarianship. Librarians working in a variety of settings (art, academics, architecture, visual resources, and museums) address professional change and technological challenges, including inadequate staffing and the need to wear multiple hats to cope with day-to-day responsibilities. The book focuses on common practices in the field as well as the individuals who work in art libraries and the collections they maintain.
Instead of the standard primer on art librarianship, this book is an insightful look at how art librarians are unique in terms of the clientele they serve, their subject knowledge, and the variety of environments in which they work. The Twenty-First Century Art Librarian examines pressing everyday issues, including operational management, staff recruitment and training, managing collections, public service and patrons, and developing a personal care plan.
The Twenty-First Century Art Librarian also addresses setting-specific topics, such as:
- developing staffing standards at all levels
- working solo in small art museum libraries
- integrating digitization into visual resource libraries
- handling special collections in architecture libraries
- how culture and mission distinguish academic art libraries from their museum counterparts
- and much more!
Table of Contents
- THE ART LIBRARY PROFESSIONAL
- Staffing Standards and Core Competencies in Academic Art and Architecture Departmental Libraries: A Preliminary Study
- Managing the Small Art Museum Library
- MANAGING AND SERVICING COLLECTIONS IN AN ART AND ARCHITECTURE ENVIRONMENT
- Integrating the Digitization of Visual Resources into Library Operations
- Management, Public Service, and Access Issues: Serving Special Collections in an Architecture Branch Library
- THE BIG PICTURE: COMPARING PRACTICES IN ART LIBRARIES
- Patrons, Processes, and the Profession: Comparing the Academic Art Library and the Art Museum Library
- Survey of Current Practices in Art and Architecture Libraries
- Reference Notes Included