Combining impartial analysis with reliable facts and figures, this fully revised and updated 16th edition provides up-to-date commentary on these vast North American nations.
New for 2014:
- five new essays covering the politics of climate change in North America, the US federal deficit and national debt, recent political developments in Canada, manufacturing in the USA and US foreign trade.
Essays by leading experts analyse topics of regional importance, including:
- US-Canadian economic integration, immigration and the North American media.
Each country is dealt with in greater detail within its own section. Country chapters include:
- a chronology of political events
- essays covering key socio-political and economic themes, including: recent political developments; foreign affairs; constitution; energy policy; economic overview; agriculture; trade; health and social policy
- additional essays examining timely subjects such as US-Chinese economic competition, religion in US politics and aboriginal peoples in Canada
- historical, political and economic surveys of the US states and Canadian provinces and territories
- statistical surveys of economic and demographic indicators
- detailed information on selected organizations, prominent figures and research institutes active in the region.
Table of Contents
Part 1: General Survey. The USA and Canada: Political and Economic Challenges to Deeper Co-operation. Climate Change and North America.Immigration Policy in North America. The Media in North America. Part 2: The USA. Introduction. The USA: A Chronology since Colonization. Presidents of the USA. Area and Population. Essays. The Constitutional Structure of the USA. US Politics and Government. US Domestic Politics: Problems and Prospects. US Foreign Policy. Energy Independence and US Foreign Policy. US Defence Policy. The Judicial System of the USA. The Role of Religion in US Politics. Ambivalent Engagement: The USA and International Organizations. Select Bibliography (Public Affairs). US Economic Overview. The US Federal Debt and Deficits - Economic and Political Challenges. The USA versus China in the Global Economy. US Agriculture. US Service Industries. Manufacturing in the USA. US Trade. US Health and Social Security Policy. Diversity and Equality in the USA. Select Bibliography (Economic Affairs). Select Bibliography (Economic Affairs). Select Bibliography (Social Affairs). Directory. Public Affairs. Government. Political Organizations. Diplomatic Representation. Judicial Systems of the USA. The Economy. National Economic Indicators. Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing. Mining. Industry. Energy. Water. Transport. Telecommunications. Finance. Tourism. External Trade. Society. Broadcasting. The Press. Publishing. Health and Welfare. Education. Religion. The States. The States of the Union and the District of Columbia. Part 3: Canada. Introduction. Canada: A Chronology since Colonization. Prime Ministers of Canada. Area and Population. Essays. Canada: Recent Political History. Canadian Foreign Policy. Aboriginal Peoples in Canada. Canada: The Courts and the Charter. Select Bibliography (Public Affairs). Overview of the Canadian Economy. Canadian Federal Energy Policy. Canadian Manufacturing. Service Industries in Canada. Social Policy in Canada. Select Bibliography (Economic Affairs). Select Bibliography (Social Affairs). Directory. Public Affairs. Government. Political Organizations. Diplomatic Represention. Judicial Systems of Canada. The Economy. National Economic Indicators. Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Trapping. Mining. Industry. Energy. Water. Transport. Telecommunications. Finance. Tourism. External Trade. Broadcasting. The Press. Publishing. Health and Welfare. Education. Religion. The Provinces and Territories. The Provinces and Territories of the Dominion.
"A truly valuable and impressive work."
– International Journal on World Peace