Combining impartial analysis with reliable facts and figures, this fully revised and updated 17th edition provides up-to-date commentary on these vast North American nations.
New for 2015:
- new essays covering US foreign policy, Canadian foreign policy, the Canadian services sector, and new material examining the challenges confronting indigenous peoples in the USA.
Essays by leading experts analyse topics of regional importance, including:
- US-Canadian economic integration, immigration, and the media in North American.
Each country is dealt with in greater detail within its own section. Country chapters include:
- a chronology of political events
- essays covering key socio-political and economic themes, including: recent political developments; foreign policy; constitution; the economy; energy policy; agriculture; trade; health and social policy
- additional essays examining timely subjects such as US-Chinese economic competition, religion in US politics and the US Judicial system
- historical, political and economic surveys of each of the US states and Canadian provinces and territories
- statistical surveys of economic and demographic indicators
- comprehensive directory sections covering public affairs, the economy and society, which provide contact details and other useful information for the most significant institutions in the region.
‘A truly valuable and impressive work.’ – International Journal on World Peace
Part 1: General Survey The USA and Canada: Political and Economic Challenges to Deeper Co –operation Alexander Moens (with Taylor Jackson) Climate Change: Political Responses in the USA and Canada Glen Sussman and Byron W. Daynes Immigration Policy: Comparative Perspectives on Canada and the USA Geoffrey Mercer Seeking Recognition and Justice: Indigenous Peoples in the USA and Canada Geoffrey Mercer The Media in North America John Nerone and Kevin Barnhurst Part 2: The USA 1. Introduction 1.1. The USA: A Chronology since Colonization 1.2. Presidents of the USA 1.3. Area and Population 2. Essays 2.1. Essays on Public Affairs 2.2. Essays on US Economic and Social Affairs 3. Directory 3.1. Public Affairs 3.2. The Economy 3.3. Society 4. The States Part 3: Canada 1. Introduction 1.1. Canada: A Chronology since Colonization 1.2. Prime Ministers of Canada 1.3. Area and Population 2. Essays 2.1. Essays on Public Affairs 2.2. Essays on Canadian Economic and Social Affairs 3. Directory 3.1. Public Affairs 3.2. The Economy 3.3. Society 4. The Provinces and Territories