The Versatile Clarinet
The Versatile Clarinet gives a wide-ranging look at the clarinet and the music that has been played on it. The book offers a brief survey of the types of music that have been played on the instrument, key players, and issues facing clarinetists as they seek to expand the instrument's repertory and recognition. The topics covered include everything from playing early and historic clarinets; jazz clarinet technique; contemporary and avant-garde music; klezmer clarinet; and the history of clarinet recording. The book will appeal to clarinetists, music historians, musical instrument scholars, and general readers interested in the development of this important instrument.
1. The Early Clarinet: historical icon or post-modern invention?
2. The Extended Clarinet: four contemporary approaches
3. The clarinet and its players in Eastern Europe and Greece
Stephen Cottrell & Evangelia Mantzourani
4. The Albanian Kaba and the Clarinet
5. Jazz Clarinet Performance
6. William O Smith - Musical Pioneer: a look at the work of one of America's most inventive musicians
7. A few issues regarding the performance of new music
8. The Bass Clarinet
9. The Contrabass Clarinets
10. Towards a beginning: thoughts leading to an interpretation of Domaines for solo clarinet by Pierre Boulez