© 2018 – Routledge
288 pages | 40 B/W Illus.
The Virtual and the Real in Planning and Urban Design: Perspectives, Practices and Applicationsexplores the merging relationship between physical and virtual spaces in planning and urban design. Technological advances such as smart sensors, interactive screens, locative media and evolving computation software have impacted the ways in which people experience, explore, interact with and create these complex spaces.
This book draws together a broad range of interdisciplinary researchers in areas such as architecture, urban design, spatial planning, geoinformation science, computer science and psychology to introduce the theories, models, opportunities and uncertainties involved in the interplay between virtual and physical spaces. Using a wide range of international contributors, from the UK, USA, Germany, France, Switzerland, Netherlands and Japan, it provides a framework for assessing how new technology alters our perception of physical space.
1. The Order of Cities: Ancient Urban Planning in the Mediterranean
2. Urbanization in Inland Sicily: Acculturation on the Periphery of the Greek World
3. The urban development of late Hellenistic Delos
4. The collective Image of a City: Structure and Meaning of Hellenistic Agorai
5. The Memory Remains: Non-verbal Symbolic Communication and the Planning Grid at Pednelissos (Pisidia, SW Turkey)
6. Cyrene and Apollonia: the classical urban plan as a measure of opposites
7. Privileged Topography: Vitruvius and the Siting of Halicarnassus
8. Carthage Rising: Echoes of Punic Carthage and Roman Memory in the Creation of Colonial Concordia
9. Triumph, Power and Providence in Roman Town Planning: the Golden Age of Flavian Rome
10. Albano: Castrum to Town
The Routledge Research in Planning and Urban Design series provides the reader with the latest scholarship in the field of planning and beyond. The series publishes international research covering spatial planning, regional planning, planning history, planning theory, communities, impact assessment, transport, sustainability and urban design. Building on Routledge’s history of academic rigor and cutting edge research, the series will contribute to the rapidly expanding literature in all areas of planning and urban design.