The World’s Greenest Buildings tackles an audacious task. Among the thousands of green buildings out there, which are the best, and how do we know?
Authors Jerry Yudelson and Ulf Meyer examined hundreds of the highest-rated large green buildings from around the world and asked their owners to supply one simple thing: actual performance data, to demonstrate their claims to sustainable operations.
This pivotal book presents:
- an overview of the rating systems and shows "best in class" building performance in North America, Europe, the Middle East, India, China, Australia and the Asia-Pacific region
- practical examples of best practices for greening both new and existing buildings
- a practical reference for how green buildings actually perform at the highest level, one that takes you step-by-step through many different design solutions
- a wealth of exemplary case studies of successful green building projects using actual performance data from which to learn
- interviews with architects, engineers, building owners and developers and industry experts, to provide added insight into the greening process
This guide uncovers some of the pitfalls that lie ahead for sustainable design, and points the way toward much faster progress in the decade ahead.
"...the book contains a plethora of background knowledge on certification systems, on the financial benefits of sustainable architecture, as well as on design and procurement processes for green buildings."DETAILGreen
"Addressing the challenges of our time, Yudelson and Meyer identify the true leaders in sustainable building design. Using real performance data, they showcase and compare buildings which combine great design, environmental quality and sustainability, providing the guidance necessary for the next generation of sustainable building design. A must read for every architect and engineer!" Thomas Auer, Transsolar Climate Engineering, Germany
"This is information we have all been waiting for; while offering a global overview of green buildings, it helps to unlock the truth about the real performance of sustainable commercial architecture." Steffen Lehmann, School of Art, Architecture and Design, University of South Australia
"Here, Yudelson and Meyer have identified global design exemplars that integrate architecture and context, economics and social responsibility, performance and aesthetics, demonstrating exciting solutions to meet the challenges of creating a more sustainable world." Bruce Kuwabara, founding partner, Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects and design architect for Manitoba Hydro Place, Canada
"Yudelson and Meyer’s great achievement is the qualification of the quantitative and the quantification of the qualitative for the ecological commercial typology in architecture." Martin Despang, School of Architecture, University of Hawaii
"[The book’s] value lies in its emphasis on how a Green building encompasses not only the hard figures of energy and water savings, but also includes the more intangible aspects such as a healthy and comfortable environment for its occupants. This book shows readers what makes a Green building truly Green, urging industry players to rethink their definitions, relinquish relativity and extravagant promises, and embrace sustainability as a whole." Ho Pei Ying in FuturArc
"This book belongs on every "green" designer's shelf." Charlotte Kahn, Architecture Boston