One of the leading texts in the field, Tourism Management is the ideal introduction to the fundamentals of tourism as you study for a degree, diploma or single module in the subject with a global focus.
This 6th edition has been revised and updated to include:
- new content on: sports, festivals and event tourism including the impact of the Olympic Games, social media impacts on tourism and the growth of medical tourism
- contemporary issues affecting businesses such as disruptive technology, the rise of Airbnb, the impact of terrorism on destination instability and safety and the potential effect of BREXIT
- updated case studies on BRIC markets and an enhanced focus on Asia as well as emerging markets such as the Middle East and South America
- enhanced sustainable development coverage highlighting the challenge of climate change and future tourism growth including new debates such as Last Chance Tourism and overtourism
- a transport section with more international perspectives from China and South America and globalised transport operators and a case study on using taxation to limit air travel behavior
- an updated companion website with: additional case studies, quizzes, PPTs, further reading, web reading and video links.
It is written in an engaging style that assumes no prior knowledge of tourism and builds up your understanding as you progress through this wide ranging global review of the principles of managing tourism. It traces the evolution and future development of tourism and the challenges facing tourism managers in this fast growing sector of the world economy. This book is highly illustrated with diagrams and colour images, and contains short case studies of contemporary themes of interest, as well as new data, statistics, weblinks to key reports and industry studies.
1 Tourism today: Why is it a global phenomenon embracing all our lives?
2 Tourism: Its origins, growth and future
3 Demand: Why do people engage in tourism?
4 Transporting the tourist I: Surface transport
5 Transporting the tourist II: The aviation sector
6 Accommodation and hospitality services
7 Tour operating and travel retailing
8 Visitor attractions and events
9 The management of tourism
10 The public sector and tourism
11 Managing the visitor and their impacts
12 The future of tourism: Post tourism?
'Tourism Management delivers an accessible, student-focused analysis of the complex tourism system. It provides an inspiring examination of tourism management within the increasingly important framework of sustainability and global growth. This edition is by far the best introductory tourism management textbook on the market. Students and instructors should relish the opportunity to read this seminal work and keep it as a reference resource for years to come.'
Dallen J. Timothy, Professor, School of Community Resources and Development, Arizona State University, USA
'In this sixth edition of Tourism Management, Stephen Page continues to cover the industry’s many sectors with absolute clarity while incorporating significant new material on a wide range of topics including tourism sustainability, social media, disruptive business models and much more. Major strengths of the book remain its global scope and numerous excellent case studies. It is without doubt the best introduction to tourism currently available.'
Roy C. Wood, University of Northampton, UK