A Clinician's Guide
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
Gain an in-depth understanding of the issues, concerns, and problems faced by transgender individuals
Transgender Subjectivities is a comprehensive guide for understanding the issues and concerns of the emerging transgender phenomenon. As transgender individuals become more “out” in society, the need to understand their concerns, the problems they face, and the resources available to them becomes rapidly more acute. This book offers a diverse yet coherent view of this ever-expanding field. It provides an overview of transsexual manifestations designed to expose therapists as well as the general public to this actively expanding field.
In Transgender Subjectivities, experts in transgender studies examine historical, theoretical, clinical, and subjective aspects of the transgender experience. The contributors include some of the most respected and experienced clinicians and scholars in the field, such as Aaron H. Devor and Anne A. Lawrence, as well as several cutting-edge contemporary theorists, and a number of eloquent transsexual writers—including Dallas Denny and Griffin Hansbury—giving this book a wide and varied perspective.
- Topics addressed in Transgender Subjectivities include:
- the origin of the “transsexual phenomenon”
- issues of guilt in the process of self-acceptance of gender nonconformity
- personal accounts of individuals who have coped with the experience of transgenderism
- the impact of transsexual transition on the children and partners of transitioning individuals
- the various manifestations of—and responses to—transsexuality
- resource and psychotherapeutic guidelines for specialists as well as non-specialists
- and much more!
Featuring a variety of voices from case studies and theoretical analyses to personal experiences and reflections, Transgender Subjectivities renders a difficult and expansive subject comprehensible to the novice, while at the same time offering insight and challenge to experts in the field. Not only is this an essential resource for clinicians, but it can also educate the general public about transgender issues, helping to dispel prejudice toward a sexual minority. This compact but wide-ranging guide will make you transgender-literate regardless of your current level of expertise.