Translation and Social Media Communication in the Age of the Pandemic
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after February 28, 2022
This collection of essays represents the first of its kind in exploring the conjunction of translation and social media communication, with a focus on how these practices intersect and transform each other against the backdrop of the cascading COVID-19 crisis. The contributions in the book offer empirical case studies as well as personal reflections on the topic, illuminating a broad range of themes such as knowledge translation, crisis communications, language policies, cyberpolitics and digital platformization. Together they demonstrate the vital role of translation in the trust-based construction of global public health discourses, while accounting for the new medialities that are reshaping the conception, experience and critique of translation in response to the cultural, political and ecological challenges in the post-pandemic world.
Written by leading scholars in translation studies, media studies and literary studies, this volume sets to open up new conversations among these fields in relation to the global pandemic and its aftermath.
Table of Contents
Introduction: translation in the time of #COVID-19
Tong King Lee and Dingkun Wang
1. Cabin’d, cribbed, confin’d: how the COVID-19 pandemic is changing our world
2. Translating knowledge, establishing trust: the role of social media in communicating the COVID-19 pandemic in the Netherlands
José van Dijck and Donya Alinead
3. Trust and cooperation through social media: COVID-19 translations for Chinese communities in Melbourne
Anthony Pym and Bei Hu
4. Parallel pandemic spaces: translation, trust and social media
Sharon O’Brien, Patrick Cadwell and Tetyana Lokot
5. Hello/Bonjour won’t cut it in a health crisis: an analysis of language policy and translation strategy across Manitoban websites and social media during COVID-19
6. On memes as semiotic hand-grenades: a conversation
Ma Carmen África Vidal Claramonte and Ilan Stavans
Tong King Lee is Associate Professor of Translation at the University of Hong Kong.
Dingkun Wang is Assistant Professor of Translation at the University of Hong Kong.