This book sheds light on the status of tribal communities in Central India with respect to governance, human development, gender, health, education, arts, and culture. Written by noted academics, thematic experts, and activists, this first-of-its-kind report by the Bharat Rural Livelihoods Foundation brings together case studies, archival research, and exhaustive data on key facets of the lives of Adivasis, the various programmes meant for their development, and the policy and systems challenges, to build a better understanding of the Adivasi predicament.
- Discusses the human development challenges faced by the Adivasis in India, covering the dismal state of health, education, and nutrition in Adivasi regions;
- Explores key issues related to gender and development in an Adivasi context, the impact of the loss of common lands and forests on their traditional economic roles;
- Presents the progress made thus far in implementing PESA and FRA;
- Examines the current state of 'Denotified Tribes' in India, the policy response of the state post-independence, and the abrogation of the act, and discusses the immediate need for recognition of their political rights;
- Highlights the importance of recognising, developing, and preserving Adivasi arts, music, dance, crafts, language and literature, and knowledge systems.
Companion to Tribal Development Report: Livelihoods, this book will be of great interest to scholars and researchers of indigenous studies, development studies, and South Asian studies.
Mihir Shah and P.S. Vijayshankar
PART I: Human Development and Governance
1. Gender Issues Including Gender-based Violence, among Scheduled Tribes
Madhu Sarin and Shankar Gopalakrishnan
2. Forests, People, and their Hopes: PESA and FRA and Overview
Ajay Dandekar and Sayantani Satpathi
3. Health of Tribal People in Central India
Hanumappa Sudarshan and Tanya Seshadri
4. Hunger and Malnutrition amongst Adivasis
5. Educational Situation of Scheduled Tribe in India: With a Focus on Schedule V Areas and West Bengal
6. The Children of Lesser Gods: The Tragedy of Denotified Tribes Today
PART II: Arts, Crafts, and Languages
7. A Status Report of the Tribal Arts within the Central Indian Tribal Belt
8. Adivasi Knowledge, Language, and Literature
G. N. Devy