Understanding GIS through Sustainable Development Goals Case Studies with QGIS
Understanding GIS through Sustainable Development Goals applies a pedagogical shift to learning GIS, as the readers employ the concepts and methodologies on real-world problems. This book provides 16 case studies across most of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with step-by-step practical instructions using QGIS(Quantum Geographic Information System) , an open-source software. It helps readers develop GIS skills on real-world data, while learning the fundamentals including spatial data models, projections, and spatial databases, different cartographic methods, such as graduated symbology, change maps, and dynamic visualization, as well as more intermediate and advanced spatial analysis such as geoprocessing, multiple criteria analysis, and spatial statistics. The topics chosen are taught in secondary and tertiary education institutions which make this a textbook for all students and educators.
- Focuses on learning GIS through 16 real world case studies.
- Introduces an open-source software that can be used beyond the classroom.
- Analyzes Sustainable Development Goals in a global framework and provides an alternative approach to learning GIS.
- Supports both secondary and tertiary educators and improves GIS education at all levels.
- Contains a holistic range of case studies that extend across several disciplines, from geography education, environmental sciences, geosciences, natural sciences, social sciences, and digital humanities.
This is a textbook for all students and educators, providing 16 case studies across most of the SDGs with step-by-step practical instructions using QGIS, an open-source software.