Implement a successful content strategy that optimizes the return-on-message performance of your digital signage program. Learn the message attributes for each of the three core network types (Point of Wait, Point of Sale, and Point of Transit), how to measure the program's effectiveness and strike a balance that uses messages effectively alongside the other advertising campaign elements.
Through the included interviews, gain access to the wisdom of more than 45 experts, each of whom has deployed and operated successful digital signage networks. The companion website, www.5thscreen.info, features real-world implementations and video blog programming that includes interviews with industry notables.
You'll learn how to:
- create a strategic communications blueprint and style guide for your network
- keep content flowing automatically-and therefore remaining relevant
- use data on viewers and traffic to build a programming schedule
- legally acquire and repurpose content
- more accurately predict where the future of content will lead
Foreword by Joe Pine and Jim Gilmore authors of "The Experience Economy" and "Authenticity"
Table of Contents
- The New Medium: The Fifth Screen and the Power of Content
- Methodology and Process
- Establishing the Type of network
- Matching Content Purpose to Network Type
- Who's involved in the message?
- The Fifth Screen and traditional communications and marketing strategy
- Enhancing the Consumer and Associate Experience
- Training and the Experience
- Research and Content Relevance
- Wait time and Dwell Time
- Speed and Length of Message
- Visit Frequency
- Loop Length
- Media that Relates to Flow
- Informational content (news, weather, trivia, information
- Educational content
- Feeding the Monster
- Buy or create - Where to obtain your Content
- Content stores
- Data-Driven Content
- Process for Creating Great Content
- Analyzing Current Traditional Media
- Creating Concepts
- Utilizing Existing Assets
- Specifications for Content
- Content and Measurement
- Seven Keys to Success
- Optimizing Fifth Screen Networks
- Audience Unit Measurement
- Interactivity -Bringing the Viewer into the Picture
- Touch Screen Content
- Kiosk vs Digital Signage
- Gesture Technology
- Creation of Cross-Platform Media
- Contiguous Campaign message across the digital landscape
- Extending your message to the "Fourth Screen"
- Extending the message to the "Third Screen"
- Utilizing the messages from the "Second Screen"
- Where will the content lead us?
- Is it the final screen?
- Will it be useful?
- How will affect us in the long term?
- What will our experience be like in 5 years?
- Glossary of Terms
Keith Kelsen is 30-year veteran of the broadcast business with more than 20 content awards to his credit. The founder of MediaTile, Keith has built a world-class company that delivers and supports award-winning digital signage products and services in over 20 countries. Through his role as Chairperson of the Content Best Practices Committee for the Digital Signage Association, Keith directs a team from industry-leading companies to improve the understanding and use of this powerful and influential medium. He was named "Digital Signage Man of the Year in 2009.
"A reference the digital signage industry was missing. Now the digital signage networks operators, creative agencies and advertisers have a method to Unleash the power of Digital Signage."-Christian Vaglio-Giors, ceo, Neo Media Group
". a great primer for the ad agencies, and a great reference for the pioneers in the digital signage industry. It's an excellent resource for anyone planning to use this medium effectively." -Jake Lambert, vp, content director, Draftfcb
". everyone, from digital signage novice to expert, will learn something to achieve better results with digital signage, regardless of goal. Kelsen covers it all, from the basic mechanics of digital signage, to the breadth of content types, delivery mechanisms, execution methods and performance measurement." -Leslie Hand, research director, IDC Retail Insights
"Keith truly illustrates, that with proper planning and a solid content strategy, digital signage will return on its objectives and provide uniquely targeted, relevant messaging." -Michael Chase, vice president, marketing, sales & creative, St. Joseph Content
"Finally a must read comprehensive book that addresses the issues of content. .Keith Kelsen has brought forth the ingredients to create great content for any of the diverse types of digital signage networks." -David Drain, executive director, Digital Signage Association
"Good content is a large reason why digital signage networks are successful, but up until this point there has not been one comprehensive reference point on the subject. Unleashing the Power of Digital Signage fills a much-needed gap in this industry."- -Bill Yackey, editor, DigitalSignageToday.com
- Sample Chapters