Scientific management strategies can help in exploring anthropogenic wastes (human-made materials) as potential resources through the urban mining concept and be a panacea for sustainable development. This book covers five broader aspects of waste management and resource recovery in urban mining including solid and liquid waste management and treatment. It explains sustainable approaches of urban mining for the effective management of solid and liquid wastes and facilitates their conversion into secondary resources. Overall, this book provides details of urban mining and its different applications including current waste management problems, practices, and challenges faced worldwide.
- Presents a holistic approach for urban mining considering various types of wastes
- Describes contemporary integrated approaches for waste management with specific case studies
- Provides technical, social, and environmental aspects of solid and liquid wastes
- Considers aspects of sustainability and a circular bio-economy
- Incorporates pertinent case studies on water and wastewater management
This volume caters to researchers and graduate students in environmental engineering, solid waste management, wastewater treatment, and materials science.
Table of Contents
1. Basic concepts, Potentials and Challenges of Urban Mining 2. Current trends and future challenges for solid waste management: Generation, characteristics and application of GIS in mapping and optimizing transportation routes 3. Food Waste to Energy through Advanced Pyrolysis 4. Biochar production and its characterization to assess viable energy options and environmental co-benefits from wood-based wastes 5. Biomedical waste management: Need, Handling rules and Current treatment technologies 6. Advances in the recycling of polymer based plastic materials 7. Utilization of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement Material (RAP) as a Part of Bituminous Mixtures 8. Valorization of solid and liquid wastes generated from agro-industries 9. Management of emerging contaminants in wastewater: Detection, treatment, and challenges 10. Municipal wastewater as a potential resource for nutrient recovery as struvite 11. Algae-based Industrial wastewater treatment methods and applications 12. The enzymatic treatment of the animal wastewater and manure 13. Application of membrane technology for nutrient removal/recovery from wastewater 14. Photocatalyst membrane reactors (PMRs) for wastewater treatment: Photodegradation mechanism, types, and optimized factors