Virtual Reality (VR) is the paradigm wherein people use a computer to interact with something which is not real but provides a real-life experience. It is one of the most advanced interfaces between users and computers, where people can interact with a virtual model in real-time allowing them to visualize and manipulate representations of the real world. Together with Augmented Reality (AR), which adds layers of information to the real environment, VR is a powerful tool for designers and architects in the development of new responsive products, systems and built environments, that meets user's needs. VR and AR are tools that enhance design and architecture students' comprehension about complex and abstract concepts.
Informative and accessible, this publication presents, analyses, and discusses the integration and use of Virtual and Augmented Reality within the process of planning, development and research for Design and Architecture. The book also presents case studies with multidisciplinary collaborative work.
This book is meant for practitioners and academics alike, as it examines specific aspects related to the use of new technologies in the field of Architecture and Design, highlighting its application in areas such as education, heritage, research, and methodologies, bridging the gap between Architectural and Design abstraction and human requirements through technology.
1. Virtual Reality in Architecture and Design: Twenty Years of Experience
Elisângela Vilar, Francisco Rebelo, Paulo Noriega, Ernesto Filgueiras and Emília Duarte
2. Virtual Reality Technology Trends: Current and Future Applications, an Interdisciplinary Overview
Lindita Bande, Khaled Galal Ahmed, Essam Zaneldin, Waleed Ahmed and Raghad Ghazal
3. Information Design for Augmented Reality: Challenges and Concerns of Interdisciplinary Practice
4. A New Role for Design in the 21st Century: From Operational to Tactical and Strategic
Gabriel Patrocinio, Ernesto Filgueiras and José Mauro Nunes
5. Voyeur-Voyager @ AR: Theory, Concepts and Promises of Augmented Reality as a New Medium
6. Architecture, Virtual Reality, and User Experience
Emerson Gomes, Francisco Rebelo, Naylor Vilas Boas, Paulo Noriega and Elisângela Vilar
7. Virtual and Augmented Reality for World Heritage Vernacular Architecture: The 3DPAST Project
José Vicente, Gilberto Carlos and Mariana Correia
8. Virtual Reality as a Student’s Learning and Self-Assessment Tool in Building Construction Education: A Proposed Process
Khaled Galal Ahmed, Mona Megahed, Fatema Al-Zaabi, Aysha Al-Sheebani and Maitha Al-Nuaimi
9. A Virtual-Reality Based Study to Evaluate Efficiency of a Technology-Based Emergency Escape Signs in Complex Smart Buildings
Elisângela Vilar, Francisco Rebelo and Paulo Noriega