Presents text, statistics and directory information on the geography, recent history and economy of the Western European countries and territories.
Key features include:
- contributions from acknowledged experts
- a definitive factual and statistical survey of each country.
- introductory articles written by acknowledged experts cover issues of regional importance, such as: European Union for the Twenty-First Century; Europe's Defences; Migration Politics in a Globalizing Europe; Economic Survey of Western Europe and the European Union and Islam in Western Europe.
Individual chapters on each country, which comprise of:
- an introductory survey, containing essays on the geography, history and economy of each country, which includes a full chronology and map
- an extensive economic and demographic survey of the latest available statistics on area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education
- a full directory section with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail and internet addresses covering the constitution, government, legislature, judiciary, political organizations, diplomatic representation, religious groups, the media, finance, trade and industry, tourism, defence and education
- a select bibliography, containing suggestions for further research.
'Excellent, authoritative, valuable.' - Reference Reviews
'Saves time in researching Western European Countries- at the same time providing users with well-informed commentaries and the latest statistical and directory information.' - Social Science Review