Western Europe 2012
The definitive survey of the countries and territories of Western Europe, comprising expert analysis and commentary. Includes up-to-date economic and socio-political data along with specially sourced directory information.
New content for the 2012 edition includes:
- coverage of significant developments in the region over the last twelve months, including the Irish financial settlement within the EU and the IMF, the Portuguese bail-out and the effects of the Middle Eastern turmoil in France
- detailed analysis of the Finnish general election, plus results and commentary on state elections in Germany and coverage of the elections in Portugal in June
- a newly commissioned essay on the rise of the populist far right in Western Europe.
- authoritative analysis of the issues confronting this important region
- contributions from around forty acknowledged experts
- thoroughly revised directory and statistical information on each country and territory.
- introductory articles by leading authorities cover issues of regional importance. Topics include developments in the European Union, the politics of migration, environmental issues, the challenges surrounding Western Europe's defence policies, relations with the developing world, Islam in Western Europe, the rise of the populist far right, and an economic survey of the region.
Individual chapters on each country, which comprise:
- an introductory survey, containing essays on the geography, history and economy of each country, which includes a full chronology and map
- an extensive economic and demographic survey of the latest available statistics on area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education
- a full directory section with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail and internet addresses covering the constitution, government, election commissions, political organizations, diplomatic representation, religious groups, the media, finance, trade and industry, tourism, defence and education
- a select bibliography, containing suggestions for further research.
- includes a directory of research institutes specializing in the region and bibliographies of books and periodicals covering Western Europe.
'Excellent, authoritative, valuable.' - Reference Reviews
'Saves time researching Western European countries--at the same time providing users with well-informed commentaries and the latest statistical and directory information.' - Social Science Review