The definitive survey of the countries and territories of Western Europe, comprising expert analysis and commentary, up-to-date economic and socio-political data and extensive directory information.
New for 2013:
- analysis of the issues confronting Western Europe
- contributions from acknowledged experts
- thoroughly revised directory and statistical information.
Essays by leading experts cover issues of regional importance. Topics include political and economic developments in the region, and issues including immigration, the environment, defence, Islam, relations with the BRICS, and the rise of the populist right.
Individual chapters on each country, comprising:
- an introductory survey, containing essays on the geography, history and economy of each country, including a chronology and map.
- an extensive statistical survey of economic and demographic indicators, including area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education.
- a comprehensive directory of names and contact details covering the most significant political and commercial institutions.
- a directory of research institutes specializing in the region
- bibliographies of books and periodicals covering the region.
Table of Contents
Part 1: General Survey. Part 2 : Country Surveys. Andorra. Austria. Belguim. Denmark. Danish External Territories: The Faroe Islands; Greenland. Finland. Finnish External Territories: The Aland Islands. France. Germany. Iceland. Ireland. Italy. Liechtenstein. Luxembourg. Malta. Monaco. The Netherlands. Norway. Norwegian External Territories: Svalbard; Jan Mayen. Portugal. San Marino. Spain. Sweden. Switzerland. The United Kingdom. United Kingdom Crown Dependencies: The Channel Islands; The Isle of Man. United Kingdom Overseas Territories: Gibraltar. The Vatican City. Part 3: Regional Information.