The definitive survey of the countries and territories of Western Europe, comprising expert analysis and commentary, up-to-date economic and socio-political data and extensive directory information.
New for 2014:
- coverage of the ongoing economic crisis in the eurozone and its effect on the politics and economies of countries in the region
- major political developments are analysed, including the legislative elections in Austria, Germany, Italy, Norway and other countries and territories in the region
- comprehensively updated directory sections, including new heads of state in Belgium and the Netherlands following the abdication of their respective monarchs, and Vatican City with the election of the new Pope.
Essays by leading experts on the area cover issues of regional importance.
Individual chapters on each country, comprising:
- an introductory survey, containing essays on the geography, history and economy of each country, including a chronology and map.
- an extensive statistical survey of economic and demographic indicators, including area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education.
- a comprehensive directory of names and contact details covering the most significant political and commercial institutions.
- a directory of research institutes specializing in the region
- bibliographies of books and periodicals covering the region.
Table of Contents
Part 1: General Survey. Part 2: Country Surveys. Andorra. Austria. Belgium. Denmark. Danish External Territories: The Faroe Islands, Greenland. Finland. Finnish External Territory: The Aland Islands. France. Germany. Iceland. Ireland. Italy. Liechtenstein. Luxembourg. Malta. Monaco. The Netherlands. Norway. Norwegian External Territories: Svalbard, Jan Mayen. Portugal. San Marino. Spain. Sweden. Switzerland. The United Kingdom. United Kingdom Crown Dependencies: The Channel Islands, The Isle of Man. United Kingdom Overseas Territory: Gibraltar. The Vatican City. Part 3: Regional Information. Research Institutes. Select Bibliography (Books). Select Bibliography (Periodicals).
"Excellent, authoritative, valuable."
– Reference Reviews
"A valuable reference work."
– The Geographical Journal
"Prepared with the meticulous attention to detail which characterizes the Europa series of reference books."
– Reference and Research Book News
"... recommended for library purchase."
– Irish Political Studies
"Saves time in researching Western European Countries – at the same time providing users with well-informed commentaries and the latest statistical and directory information."
– Social Science Review
"Accurate and up to date."
– Times Literary Supplement