Western Europe 2015
The definitive survey of the countries and territories of Western Europe, comprising expert analysis and commentary, up-to-date economic and socio-political data and extensive directory information.
New for 2015:
- new essays examining energy security in Western Europe and mainstream parties and immigration, and fully revised essays on the European Union, the economies of the eurozone, the region’s defence policies, Western Europe and emerging economies, the environment, and parties of the populist right
- analysis of recent elections in the region, including Belgium and Sweden
- details of cabinet reorganizations and new heads of state in the region
Essays by leading experts on the area cover issues of regional importance.
Individual chapters on each country, comprising:
- an introductory survey, containing essays on the geography, history and economy of each country, including a chronology and map.
- an extensive statistical survey of economic and demographic indicators, including area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education.
- a comprehensive directory of names and contact details covering the most significant political and commercial institutions.
- a directory of research institutes specializing in the region
- bibliographies of books and periodicals covering the region.
Table of Contents
Part 1: General Survey The European Union's 'Mid-Life Crisis' Julie Smith The Crisis in the Eurozone David Lea European Security and Defence Ben Tonra Energy Security in Western Europe Robert E. Looney Western Europe, the European Union and Emerging Economies Ana E. Juncos Environmental Issues in Western Europe Adrian McDonald Mainstream Parties and Immigration Pontus Odmalm The Populist Radical Right in Western Europe Elisabeth Ivarsflaten and Froy Gudbrandsen Part 2: Country Surveys Sections on geography, history, chronology and economy, as well as statistical surveys, directories and bibliographies for each country. Part 3: Regional Information Research Institutes. Select Bibliography (Books). Select Bibliography (Periodicals).
Europa publicationshave long been regarded as premier reference resources, providing authoritative political and economic data for every country and region of the world, biographical profiles of the most influential global figures in every field, including politics, science, business, academia, the arts and the media, and unrivalled access to information on universities, libraries and other academic institutions world-wide.
Available in print and online, Europa's principal titles, The Europa World Year Book,The Europa Regional Surveys of the World, The International Who's Who and The Europa World of Learning, serve the contemporary research needs of students, academics and information-seekers in specialist and general reference libraries, government offices and commercial institutions in every country.
‘Excellent, authoritative, valuable.’ – Reference Review
‘Prepared with the meticulous attention to detail which characterizes the Europa series of reference books.’ – Reference and Research Book News
‘…recommended for library purchase.’ – Irish Political Studies