Do you remember a time when you used the right words at the right moment, and they made all the difference? With the aim of helping you repeat that experience every day, this book provides hundreds of examples of what we call “Best Practice Language” (BPL), a research-based technique designed to help teachers use words to improve student behavior – in the classroom and beyond.
In their years of working at the K-12 levels, educators Hal Holloman and Peggy H. Yates have identified the exact phrases and key words you can use to handle: recurring disruptions, inappropriate outbursts, and students’ low self-confidence, among other classroom realities. BPL will enable you to:
- Set your expectations clearly on the first day of school
- Prevent and resolve conflicts between students
- Create a safe haven for shy, apprehensive students
- Establish meaningful relationships with students built on trust
- Help students foster a respect for themselves, their peers, and for adults
- Maintain a positive classroom environment that encourages personal responsibility
Table of Contents
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Best Practice Language: The Right Words at the Right Time
2. The BPL Framework for Improving Student Behavior in the Classroom and Beyond
3. What Do You Say on the First Day of School?
4. What Do You Say to the Passively Disengaged Student?
5. What Do You Say to the Attention Seekers?
6. What Do You Say After an Inappropriate Outburst?
7. What Do You Say to Prevent Feelings of Embarrassment and Insecurity in the Classroom?
8. What Do You Say to Help Students Develop Respect for Themselves and Others?
9. What Do You Say to Prevent, Defuse, and Resolve Student Conflict?
10. What Do You Say to Prevent, Address, and Eliminate Student Anger, Aggression, and Bullying?
11. What Do You Say to the Student Who Refuses to Cooperate and/or Challenges You?
12. What Do You Say to Address Discipline Issues with the Whole Class?
13. What Do You Say to Encourage and Promote a Culture of Positive Student Behavior?
14. The Power of BPL in the Classroom and Beyond
15. Mining and Refining Best Practice Language in your School
16. Appendix A. Major Issues Poll (MIP)
17. Appendix B. Local Expert Poll (LEP)
18. Appendix C. What Do You Say When...? Scenarios