Whole Body Vibrations: Physical and Biological Effects on the Human Body allows an understanding about the qualities and disadvantages of vibration exposure on the human body with a biomechanical and medical perspective. It offers a comprehensive range of principles, methods, techniques and tools to provide the reader with a clear knowledge of the impact of vibration on human tissues and physiological processes. The text considers physical, mechanical and biomechanical aspects and it is illustrated by key application domains such as sports and medicine. Consisting of 11 chapters in total, the first three chapters provide useful tools for measuring, generating, simulating and processing vibration signals. The following seven chapters are applications in different fields of expertise, from performance to health, with localized or global effects. Since unfortunately there are undesirable effects from the exposure to mechanical vibrations, a final chapter is dedicated to this issue. Engineers, researchers and students from biomedical engineering and health sciences, as well as industrial professionals can profit from this compendium of knowledge about mechanical vibration applied to the human body.
- Provides biomechanical and medical perspectives to understanding the qualities and disadvantages of vibration exposure on the human body
- Offers a range of principles, methods, techniques, and tools to evaluate the impact of vibration on human tissues and physiological processes
- Explores mechanical vibration techniques used to improve human performance
- Discusses the strong association between health and human well-being
- Explores physical, mechanical, and biomechanical aspects of vibration exposure in domains such as sports and medicine
1. Instrumentation for Human Mechanical Vibration Analysis. 2. Signal Processing. 3. Numerical and Experimental Assessment of Mechanical Vibrations. 4. Effect of Mechanical Vibration on Performance. 5. Effect of Mechanical Vibration on General Health. . 6. Effects of WBV in Individuals with Diabetes and Diabetic Neuropathy. 7. Effects of Whole Body Vibration in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. 8. Whole Body Vibration, Cognition and the Brain. 9. Effects of Whole Body Vibration in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome. 10. Effect of Mechanical Vibration on Bone Tissue.