Women Refugee Voices from Asia and Africa Travelling for Safety
This book presents experiences of women refugees in a variety of contexts across Asia and Africa and builds a framework to ensure robust and effective mechanisms to safeguard refugees’ rights. It highlights the structural challenges that women who are forcibly displaced face and the inadequacies of the response of governments and other stakeholders, irrespective of the country of origin, ethnicity, and religion of the refugee community.
● Focuses on contemporary issues such as the Rohingya and the Syrian crisis.
● Brings first-person accounts of women refugees from Asia and Africa.
● Draws on an interdisciplinary approach to analyse a host of issues, including public policy, cultural norms, and economics of forced migration.
Bringing together first-hand accounts from women refugees and interventions by activists, academics, journalists, filmmakers, humanitarian workers, and international law experts, this book will be a must read for scholars and researchers of migration and diaspora studies, development studies, sociology and social anthropology, and politics and public policy. It will be of special interest to NGOs, policymakers, and think tanks.
Foreword by Leymah Gbowee
PART 1: OVERVIEW
Divita Shandilya and Sandeep Chachra
2. Forced Displacement: Reflecting on Women’s Lived Realities
Rebecca Eapen and Sweta Madhuri Kannan
PART II: THE PATH THEY TRAVELLED – STORIES OF REFUGEE WOMEN
3. Narratives of Refugee Women
4. A face to the journeys: From the pages of an artist’s sketchbook
5. Rohingya Exodus 2017: A photo essay on life at refugee camps in Cox’s Bazaar, Bangladesh
6. Feminists on the Move
PART III: THE PARTICULAR VULNERABILITIES OF REFUGEE WOMEN
7. Protection Gaps for Women and Girls in Refugee Crises
8. Social and Cultural Isolation of Women in Refuge
Shahanoor Akter Chowdhury and Sharmin Akther Shilpi
9. Women, Social Positioning, and Refugee Status
10. Forced Migration and the Gendering of Survival in Exile
PART IV: THE CONTOURS OF A LONG-TERM RESOLUTION
11. Statelessness in Exile
12. Refugee Repatriation: The Role of Education, Healthcare, Livelihoods, and Violence
13. Towards durable solutions: The rights of refugees and shared responsibilities of states to ensure their protection