Get a global perspective on bisexuality from a women's viewpoint!
Women and Bisexuality: A Global Perspective reflects the growing contribution bisexuals, and especially bisexual women, make to queer culture on an international level. This unique book presents a collection of thoughtful essays, studies, and reviews that combine to help develop a language that reflects the reality of bisexuality from a feminine/feminist viewpoint. Authors map the inroads made by bisexual studies into conventional disciplines, including anthropology, sociology, health, literature, film, history, and biography, and analyze the situations of bisexual women in areas as diverse as France, North America, Germany, Australia, and Africa.
The rich and varied contributions to Women and Bisexuality: A Global Perspective track the spread of bisexuality from the urban and metropolitan centers of gay culture to more peripheral areas as the movement becomes more and more hospitable to transnational and transcultural people. The book's main themesbisexuality's ability to disrupt categories and the resulting feeling of alienation many bisexuals experienceare manifested in approaches that include critical theory, deconstruction, textual analysis, cognitive psychology, personal essay, review essay, reportage, and qualitative study. Topics addressed include:
- the impact of feminism and women's communities on the appearance of bisexual women
- multi-sexual relationships as border existence in Australia
- a South African perspective on bisexuality
- understanding bisexuality's invisibility
- Lillian Hellmann's bisexual fantasies
- and much more!
Table of Contents
- About the Contributors
- Women and Bisexuality: A Global Perspective: Introduction
- What Should I Wear? A Qualitative Look at the Impact of Feminism and Women’s Communities on Bisexual Women’s Appearance
- In Defense of Ambiguity: Understanding Bisexuality’s Invisibility Through Cognitive Psychology
- Reading Bisexualities from a South African Perspective
- Outside Belongings: Multi-Sexual Relationships as Border Existence
- The Lie with the Ounce of Truth: Lillian Hellman’s Bisexual Fantasies
- Fucking Categories
- The Other
- BI FILM-VIDEO WORLD
- Aimee & Jaguar
- BI BOOKS
- Lines of Flight: A Review of Identity Without Selfhood: Simone de Beauvoir and Bisexuality
- Reference Notes Included