It is clear that although the human resource management field has been drastically affected by global competition over the last twenty years, most of the research and publications in the field are geared to providing corporations with an understanding of their business environment. This book takes an entirely different approach by looking at the job and career markets from the point of view of individuals who are searching for new strategies to find, develop and manage their careers in a global environment. Not only does it provide the individual with the tools necessary to evaluate various domestic and international career markets, but it also presents strategies to help them package and market their skills and competencies at home and abroad. With the help of this vital guidebook to the global job market, readers will:
• Learn how to research national markets to spot new career opportunities
• Find information on dynamic regions and companies where careers are flourishing
• Find out about professional & skill certifications that help with global employment
• Learn how to build and mobilize personal and professional networks
• Learn about international oriented business sectors and career opportunities
• Identify education and training opportunities at home and abroad
• Create practical strategies for developing and managing their career
As global competition forces firms to adjust rapidly to changing market conditions, affecting the structure and content of jobs, careers and career markets around the world, the need for individuals to be proactive is becoming clear. This book offers readers the tools they need to evaluate and manage their career environment and personal career profiles, and ultimately, to have a rewarding career.
Table of Contents
1. Understanding Work, Career Structures & Personalized Resource Management 2. Work & Career Institutions & Environments 3. Working With & In Foreign Environments 4. Maximizing Mobility & The Role of International Gateway Cities 5. Maximizing Your International Career Capabilities by Focusing on International Sectors 6. Maximizing the Transferability of Your Capabilities & the Role of Foreign Institutions & Cross-Over Sectors 7. Exploring Strategies for Establishing Your International Business Career 8. Practical Guidelines for Launching Your International Business Career 9. Practical Guidelines & Strategies for Working in Asia & Europe 10. Practical Guidelines & Strategies for Working in Latin America & Africa 11. Managing Your International Business Career
Roblyn Simeon is a Professor of International Business at San Francisco State University, USA.