BiographyMs. Oldenburg has broad experience across all aspects of the healthcare ecosystem, including payers, providers, and integrated delivery systems. Her background includes consulting with EY’s Health Advisory Practice as well as a number of smaller consulting organizations, work as the Vice President of Patient and Physician Engagement in Aetna’s Accountable Care Solutions organization and seven years in Senior Leadership with Kaiser Permanente’s Digital Services Group.
She has done volunteer work to advance digital and patient-centered health topics in a variety of local and national environments:
* She served on the Northern California Board of the Heath Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS) for 12 years, culminating by serving as Secretary, President-Elect, President, and Past President.
* She served on the Office of the National Coordinator of Health IT's Consumer Empowerment Workgroup in 2013-2014.
* She worked on several standards groups working to define the components of a personal health record, including CCHIT and HL7's Personal Health Records Committee.
* She currently is the Co-Chair of HIMSS National Connected Health Committee
Ms. Oldenburg has transformed these experience into publications, with the support, encouragement, and contributions of her many colleagues and friends:
* Jan is the principal editor of Participatory Healthcare: A Person-Centered Approach to Transforming Healthcare published by CRC Press.
* Jan is also the primary editor of Engage! Transforming Healthcare Through Digital Patient Engagement, available from CRC Press and winner of “Best Book of 2013” honors at HIMSS 2014.
* Jan contributed the "Personal Health Engagement" chapter to the third edition of Medical Informatics, available from CRC Press.
* Jan contributed the "Patient Portals: Enabling Participatory Medicine" chapter to The Journey Never Ends, also available from CRC Press.
Jan is a frequent speaker and commentator on patient and physician engagement issues; she tweets @janoldenburg and her website is www.janoldenburg.com.
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
I focus on research about the benefits of digital health, patient engagement, population health, and mobile health. Although much of my research is highlighted in my books, noted above, your can also catch glimpses of it in the articles and posts below.
Podcast about Participatory Healthcare: https://soundcloud.com/icmed/ep-1-jan-oldenburg-patient-engagement-expert
Podcast about use of social media in heathcare: http://healthcaretechtalk.net/htt-56-engaging-patients-via-social-media-right/
Article in Managed Healthcare Executive: Learning from the healthcare customer experience: Listening to the good, the bad, and the opportunity http://managedhealthcareexecutive.modernmedicine.com/managed-healthcare-executive/news/learning-healthcare-customer-experience?page=full
In her spare time, Jan enjoys hiking with her husband and dog, reading voraciously, and dabbling in making jewelry, using techniques ranging from metal-smithing to metal clay to pearl knotting.