BiographyDr. Phivos Mylonas is currently a Senior Researcher by the Image, Video and Multimedia Laboratory, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Department of Computer Science of the National Technical University of Athens, Greece and has been elected and is to be appointed as an Assistant Professor by the Department of Informatics of the Ionian University, Greece. He has published articles in 28 international journals and book chapters, he is the author of 55 papers in international conferences and workshops, he has edited 9 books and is a guest editor of 6 international journals, he is a reviewer for 19 international journals and has been actively involved in the organization of 39 international conferences and workshops in the areas of content-based information retrieval, visual context representation and analysis, knowledge-assisted multimedia analysis, issues related to multimedia personalization, user adaptation, user modeling and profiling. For more information, see Dr. Mylonas' website.
· 11/2012 - ... EU-IST Social & Smart project: "Social housekeeping through intercommunicating appliances and shared recipes merged in a pervasive web-services infrastructure".
· 10/2011 - 01/2013 GR P437 project: "Digital Educational Platform Specifications, Development and Operation of a Digital Knowledge Base, Digital Modulation and Technical Meta-annotation of Educational Material, Infrastructure for Exemplary Teaching and Utilization of Collaborative Web".
· 06/2011 - 12/2011 EU S.I.D.E.T.R.A.C.: project: "Design, Development and Evaluation of an Integrated Automatic Land Border Surveillance System".
· 04/2008 - 04/2011 EU-IST WeKnowIt project: "Emerging, Collective Intelligence for personal, organisational and social use".
· 03/2007 - 02/2009 EU-IST MESH project: "Multimedia Semantic Syndication for Enhanced News Services".
· 03/2007 - 04/2007 EU-IST agent-DYSL project: "Accomodative Intelligent Educational Environments for Dyslexic Learners".
· 02/2006 - 11/2008 EU COST292 action: Semantic Multimodal Analysis of Digital Media.
· 08/2004 - 03/2007 GSRT-EPAN-03DSBEPRO-44 VisualAsset project, "VisualAsset, Multimedia Document Analysis, Information Extraction and Management".
· 01/2004 - 02/2008 EU-IST aceMedia project, "Integrating Knowledge, Semantics and Content for User-Centred Intelligent Media Services".
· 10/2003 - 12/2004 Leonardo SPERO project, "TeleInformatics System for Continuous Collection, Processing, Diffusion of Material for Teacher Training in Special Education", IVML, Kapodistrian University of Athens (GR), County Council of Viborg (DK), Iceland University of Education (ICE), Glasgow Caledonian University (UK), Centro De Profesores y Recursos de Gijon (ES).
· 10/2002 - 01/2004 EU-IST FAETHON project, "Unified Intelligent Access to Heterogeneous Audiovisual Content", IST, IVML, Sysware SA (GR), Lambrakis Research Foundation (GR), Joanneum Research (A), Film Archiv Austria (A), Starlab Research NV/SA (B), Oracle GmbH (A), Hellenic Broadcasting Corp. (GR).
· 10/2002 - 12/2002 EU-IST ERMIS project, "Emotionally Rich Man-machine Intelligent System", IST, IVML (GR), ALTEC S.A (GR), ILSP (GR), France Telecom (GR), British Telecom (UK), Queens University of Belfast (UK), Kings College of London (UK), MIT GmbH (DE), Eyetronics (BE), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (BE).
· 10/2001 - 09/2002 SYN-96 project, "SYN-96: Development of a Video on Demand system, using the mpeg-2 standard, Research and Technology Operational Program ΙΙ, ICCS-NTUA, INFOLAB LTD.
· 10/2001 - 12/2001 Project WIN at NRSC "Democritus": http://www.wirelessinternet.gr
· 09/2001 - 12/2001 Technical Chamber of Greece (ΤΕΕ), Group Member - Co-operator
· 01/2000 - 03/2000 Ministry of Education, Elaboration of Research Project: Further development, operation and maintenance of the integrated monitoring and evaluation system (IMES)
· 11/1998 - 02/1999 Employment at the helpdesk of the Greek Telecommunications Operator (OTE)
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
content-based information retrieval, visual context representation and analysis, knowledge-assisted multimedia analysis, issues related to multimedia personalization, user adaptation, user modeling and profiling
· Multimedia Technologies, Content-based Information Retrieval, Knowledge Acquisition in Multimedia
· Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Graphics
· Context in Multimedia, Visual Context, Context and the Semantic Web
· Personalization, User Profiling, User Preferences Extraction
· Ontologies & Personalization, RDF, Reification, Semantic Web personalization
· Multimedia Analysis
· Machine Learning Databases
· Data Mining: Association rules, Clustering & Classification problems
· E-learning, Online courses, Collaborative learning
· Descriptions of Multimedia Content: MPEG-7 Metadata, MPEG-7 Relations
· Fuzzy information retrieval: Fuzzy Entities, Fuzzy Relations