Francisco J. Samaniego
BiographyFRANCISCO J. SAMANIEGO
Distinguished Research Professor
Department of Statistics
University of California, Davis
Davis, CA 95616
Research Interests: Mathematical Statistics, Reliability and Survival Analysis, Sampling Techniques, Bayesian Inference, Applications of Statistics in Education, Engineering and Public Health
Professional Activities and Awards:
• NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Statistics, Florida State University, 1971-2
• Principal Investigator, Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Grant AFOSR 77-3180,"Modeling and Inference for Signal Plus Noise Data," 1976-1981
• Associate Editor, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 1978-1982 and 1994-2001
• Elected Fellow, American Statistical Association, 1982
• Senior Postdoctoral Fellowship, awarded by the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences under the sponsorship of the Ford Foundation, 1982-83
• Associate Editor, Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, 1982-2013
• Elected Fellow, Royal Statistical Society, 1984
• Principal Investigator, Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Grant AFOSR 84-0159, "Modeling and Inference for Systems Subject to Aging, Shock or Repair," 1984-1988
• Principal Investigator, Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Grant AFOSR 88-0308, "Modeling and Statistical Inference in Reliability and Life Testing", 1988-1990
• Elected Fellow, Institute of Mathematical Statistics, 1990
• Principal Investigator, National Security Agency, " Estimation Problems in Reliability," 1990-1992
• Principal Investigator, National Science Foundation, "Contributions to the Theory and Methods of Empirical Bayes Estimation, 1992-94
• Elected Member, International Statistical Institute, 1994
• Member, Committee on National Statistics, National Research Council, 1995-2001
• Principle Investigator, Army Research Office, "Combining Data from Related Experiments", 1999-2002.
• Editor, Theory & Methods Section, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 2002-2005
• Principle Investigator, Army Research Office, "Contributions to Structural, Stochastic and Statistical Reliability", 2002-2005.
• Distinguished Teaching Award, UC Davis Academic Senate, 2002.
• Recipient, UC Davis Prize for Undergraduate Teaching and Scholarly Achievement, 2004
• Principle Investigator, Army Research Office, "Studies in Reliability Economics and Inference", 2005-2008.
• Principle Investigator, ARO, " Applications and Extensions of Signature Theory to Modeling and Inference Problems in Engineering Reliability”, 2008-2011.
• Recipient, Army Wilks Award for career contributions to Engineering Reliability, 2008.
• Principle Investigator, ARO, Studies in Structural, Stochastic and Statistical Reliability for Networks and Systems, 2011 – 2014
• Chair, Scientific Program Committee, ISI World Statistics Congress, Rio de Janeiro, 2015.
 Time Use Measurement and Research – Report of a Workshop (2000) Altonji, Bradburn, DaVanzo, Nordhaus, Samaniego and ver Ploeg, Editors, Washington D. C., National Academy Press.
 Reliability Issues for DoD Systems – Report on a Workshop (2002) F. Samaniego and M. Cohen, Editors, Washington D. C., National Academy Press.
 System Signatures and their Applications in Engineering Reliability (2007), New York: Springer
 A Comparison of the Bayesian and Frequentist Approaches to Estimation (2010), New York: Springer.
 Nonparametric Statistical Methods and Related Topics: A Festchrift on the Occasion of Professor P. K. Bhattacharya’s 80th Birthday (2011), Jiang, J., Roussas, G. and Samaniego, F., Editors, Singapore: World Scientific Press.
 Stochastic Modeling and Theoretical Statistics: A Text for Students in Statistics and in the Quantitative Sciences (2014), New York: Chapman and Hall. (ISBN # 978-1-4665-6046-8)
Selected Research papers:
Hall, P. G., Jin, Y. and Samaniego, F. J. (2014) Estimating Component Characteristics Based on Lifetime Data from Multiple Systems, submitted for publication.
McAssey, M. and Samaniego, F. J. (2014) On Universally Optimal Networks: A Reversal of Fortune?”, Communications in Statistics, (Special Issue in Honor of N. Balakrishnan), in press
Balakrishnan, N. and Navarro, J. and Samaniego, F. J. (2012)Signature Representation and Preservation Results for Engineered Systems and Applications to Statistical Inference, chapter in Advances in Reliability: Signatures, Multistate Systems, Preventive Maintenance and Statistical Inference, Frenkel, I., Gertsbakh, I. and Lisniansky, A.(Editors), New York: Wiley and Sons.
Bhattacharya, D. and Samaniego, F. J. (2010) On estimating component characteristics from system failure-time data, Naval Research Logistics, 57, 380 – 89.
Samaniego, F. J., Navarro, J. and Balakrishnan, N. (2009) Dynamic Signatures and their Use in Comparing the Reliability of New and Used Systems, Naval Research Logistics,
Hollander, M. and Samaniego, F. J. (2008) “On Comparing the Reliability of Arbitrary Systems via Stochastic Precedence”, Advances in Mathematical Modeling for Reliability, T. Bedford, J. Quigley, L. Walls, B. Alkali, A. Daneshkhah and G. Hardman, Editors, 129 – 137, IOS Press
Navarro, J., Samaniego, F. J. and Balakrishnan, N. (2008) Mixture Representations of Residual Lifetimes of Used Systems, Journal of Applied Probability, 45, 1097 – 1112.
Dugas, M. and Samaniego, F. J. (2007) On Optimal System Design in Reliability-Economics Frameworks, Naval Research Logistics, 54(5), 568 – 82,
Boland, P. J., Samaniego, F. J. and Vestrup, E.M. (2003) Linking Dominations and Signatures in Network Reliability Theory, in Mathematical and Statistical Methods in Reliability, Lindqvist, B. and Doksum, K, (editors), Singapore: World Scientific, 89 – 103.
Arcones, M., Kvam, P. H. and Samaniego, F. J. (2002) On Nonparametric Estimation of Distributions Subject to a Stochastic Precedence Constraint, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 97, 170 – 182,
Arcones, M. and Samaniego, F. J. (2000) On the Asymptotic Distribution Theory for a Class of Consistent Estimators of a Distribution Satisfying a Uniform Stochastic Ordering Constraint, Annals of Statistics, 28, 116-150.
Kochar, S., Mukerjee, H. and Samaniego, F. J. (1999) On the Signature of a Coherent System and its Application to Comparisons among Systems, Naval Research Logistics, 46 507-523.
Samaniego, F. J. and Reneau, D. (1994) Towards a Reconciliation of the Bayesian and Frequentist Approaches to Estimation, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 89, 947-59
Whitaker, L. R. and Samaniego, F. J. (1989) On Estimating the Reliability of Systems Subject to Imperfect Repair, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 84 (1989), 301-309.
Whitaker, L. R. and Samaniego, F. J. (1988) On Estimating Population Characteristics From Record-Breaking Observations, II. Nonparametric Results, Naval Research Logistics, 35(1988), 221-236
Samaniego, F. J. and Whitiker, L.R. (1986) On Estimating Population Characteristics from Record-Breaking Observations. I.
Parametric Results," Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, 33, 531-544.
Boyles, R. and Samaniego, F. J. (1986) Estimating a Survival Curve Based on Nomination Sampling, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 81, 1034-45.
Samaniego, F. J. (1985) On the Closure of the IFR Class under the Formation of Coherent Systems, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Vol. R-34(1985), 69-72.
Gong, G. and Samaniego, F. J. (1981) Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Estimation: Theory and Applications, Annals of Statistics, (1981), 9, 861-69.
Samaniego, F. J. (1976) A Characterization of Convoluted Poisson Distributions with Applications to Estimation, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 71, 475-79.
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
Statistical modeling, mathematical statistics, theory and applications of engineering reliability, Bayesian statistical methods, sampling theory, comparative statistical analysis
Art, Golf, Music, Tennis, Travel