BiographyAWARDS & HONORS
• M. Scott Myers Award for the best applied research project in the workplace, 2005. Presented by the Society of Industrial & Organizational Psychology for the Global Leadership & Organizational Behavior Effectiveness (GLOBE) project. I was lead county co-investigator for Mexico on this project.
• Bank of America Distinguished Professorship, 2004-2006.
• Donald C. Roush Award for Excellence in Teaching, NMSU, 2003.
• Paul Hersey Award for the Best Leadership paper presented in the Management History Division at the National Academy of Management Meeting, Chicago, 1999.
• William A. Owens Scholarly Achievement Award presented by the Society for Industrial & Organizational Psychology,1997. This award is for a publication in a refereed journal judged to have the highest potential to significantly impact the field of Industrial/Organizational Psychology,1997.
• Best Paper Award from the Center for Creative Leadership for the best article published in Leadership Quarterly in 1997.
• 2000-2001Outstanding Researcher Award in the College of Business Administration & Economics, NMSU, 1981-1982, 1987-1988, 2000-2001.
Howell, J.P. & Costley, D.L. (2001). Understanding behaviors for effective leadership. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall. ISBN 0-13-028403-3
• Republished in Chinese by Pearson Education Asia, Ltd. The Chinese edition is currently being marketed in the People’s Republic of China. ISBN 0-13-028403-3
Howell, J.P. & Costley, D.L. (Dec.) (2006). Understanding behaviors for effective leadership (2nd edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall. ISBN 0-13-148452-4
Howell, J.P. (2012). Snapshots of Great Leadership. New York, NY: Routledge/Taylor and Francis. (2013)
Howell, J.P. and Wanasika, I. (2018). Snapshots of Great Leadership, (2nd edition). New York, NY:
Routledge/Taylor and Francis. ISBN 978-1-138-08817-7
SELECTED ARTICLES & BOOK CHAPTERS
Howell, J. P. & Dorfman, P. W. (1981). Substitutes for leadership: Test of a construct. Academy of Management Journal, 24(4), 714-728.
• Republished in K. Davis & J. W. Nystrom (Eds.), Organizational Behavior-Readings and Exercises (7th ed.), (1985), McGraw-Hill, 186-188.
Howell, J. P. & Wall, L. W. (1983). Executive leadership in an organized anarchy: The case of health service organizations. Health Care Management Review, 8(2), 17-26.
Dorfman, P. W. & Howell, J. P. (1984). Production sharing in the Mexican maquiladora industry-A challenge for I/O psychology. The Industrial-Organizational Psychologist 22(1), 20-26.
Howell, J.P. & Dorfman, P. W. (1986). Leadership and substitutes for leadership among professional and non-professional workers. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 22(1),29-46.
Howell, J. P., Dorfman, P. W. & Kerr, S. (1986). Moderator variables in leadership research. Academy of Management Review, 11(1),88-102.
Howell, J. P., Bowen, D., Dorfman, P. W., Kerr, S. & Podsakoff, P. M. (1990). Substitutes for leadership:
Effective alternatives to ineffective leadership. Organizational Dynamics, summer issue, 21-38.
• Republished in D. Bohl (Ed.), New Dimensions in Leadership (1993), American Management Association, 83-99.
• Republished in J. L. Pierce & J. W. Newstrom (Eds.), Leaders and the Leadership Process (2nd ed.), 2000, Irwin/McGraw-Hill, 261-267.
• Republished in J. L. Pierce & J. W. Newstrom (Eds.), Leaders and the Leadership Process (3rd ed.), 2002, Irwin/McGraw-Hill.
• Republished in R. M. Steers, L. W. Porter, & G. A. Bigley (Eds.), Motivation and Leadership at Work (6th ed.), 1996, McGraw-Hill.
• Republished in R. P. Vecchio (Ed.), Leadership: Understanding the Dynamics of Power and Influence in Organizations (1997). University of Notre Dame Press, 381-395.
• Republished in J.L. Pierce & J.W. Newstrom (Eds.) Leaders and the Leadership Process (4th ed.), 2005, McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
Howell, J. P. (1997). Substitutes for leadership: Their meaning and measurement-An historical assessment. Leadership Quarterly, 8(2), 113-116.
Dorfman, P. W., Howell, J. P. Hibino, S., Lee, J. K., Tate, U. & Bautista, A. (1997). Leadership in Western and Asian countries: Commonalities and differences in effective leadership practices. Leadership Quarterly, 8(3), 233-274.
• Republished in J. L. Pierce & J. W. Newstrom (Eds.), Leaders and the Leadership Process (2nd ed.) 2000, Irwin/McGraw-Hill, 179-189.
• Republished in J. L. Pierce & J. W. Newstrom (Eds.), Leaders and the Leadership Process (3rd ed.) 2002, Irwin/McGraw-Hill.
Clugston, M., Howell, J. P. & Dorfman, P. W. (2000). Does cultural socialization predict multiple bases and foci of commitment? Journal of Management, 26(1), 5-30.
Clugston, M., Howell, J. P. & Dorfman, P. W. (2000). Dispositional influences on pay preferences. Journal of Business and Psychology, 15(2), Winter issue, 311-320.
Villa, J., Howell, J. P., Dorfman, P. W. & Daniel, D. (2003). Problems with detecting moderators using
moderated multiple regression in leadership research. Leadership Quarterly, 14,3-23.
Howell, J. P. (2004). Substitutes for leadership. In Goethals, G.R., Sorenson, G.J. & Burns, J.M. (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Leadership. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1504-1508.
Black, J., Oliver, R., Howell, J.P., & King, P. (2004). A Dynamic System Simulation of leadership and
group effects on context for learning. Leadership Quarterly, 17(1), 39-56.
Dionne, S.D., Yammarino, F.J., Howell, J.P., & Villa, J. (2005). Substitutes for leadership, or not. A series
of theoretical letters. Leadership Quarterly, 16, 169-193.
Howell, J.P., de la Cerda, J., Martinez, S.M., Prieto, L., Bautista, J.A., Ortiz, J., Dorfman, P.W., Mendez, M.J. (2007). Leadership and culture in Mexico. Journal of World Business, 42, 449-462.
Paris, L.D., Howell, J.P., Dorfman, P.W. & Hanges, P.J. (2009). Preferred leadership prototypes of male and female leaders in 27 countries. Journal of International Business Studies, 40, 1296-1405.
Javidan, M., Dorfman, P.W., Howell, J.P., Hanges, P.J. (2010). Leadership and cultural context: A theoretical and empirical examination based on project GLOBE. In N. Nohria and R. Khurana (Eds.) Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice. Harvard University Press, Boston, Mass.
Wanasika, I., Howell, J.P., Littrell, R., Dorfman, P.W. (2011). Managerial leadership and culture in Sub-Saharm Africa. Journal of World Business, 46(2), 234-241.
Wang, L., Howell, J.P., Hinrichs, K.T., Prieto, L.(2013). Organizational citizenship behavior: The role of value/identity – based motivation. Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 18(1), 14-24.
Mendez, M.J., Howell, J.P., & Bishop, J.W. (2015) Beyond the unidimensional collective leadership model: A study of leadership patterns in committees. Leadership and Organizational Development Journal, 36(6), 675-676.
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
Leadership, substitutes for leadership, organizational behavior, management
Reading, writing, music, birding, hiking, boating, fishing