Biography1961-1966 Student of mathematics, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena
1966-1968 Assistant, Technical University Dresden, Department of Forestry.
1968-1969 Military service
1969-1974 Assistant, senior assistant, Mining Academy Freiberg, Department of Mathematics.
1974-1979 Deputy head engineer for science and technology; lignite mining industry in the town of Röblingen am See.
1979-1981 University docent (associate professor) for reliability and maintenance of transportation and communication systems; University for Transportation and Communication ‘F. List’ Dresden.
1981-1992 Professor of mathematics and head of the department of mathematics at the Ingenieurhoch- schule Mittweida. With effect of January 01, 1993: dismissal for ‘lack of need’.
1990-1998 Visiting professor at the Bavarian Julius-Maximilians University Würzburg, the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt, the University of Fribourg (Switzerland), Department of Informatics, and the Arizona State University in Tempe (USA), Department of Industrial Systems Engineering and Management Science.
1995-1996 First place on the list for the professorship ‘Reliability and safety of traffic systems’ at the Technical University Dresden.
1996-2007 Professor of Operations Research (research professorship), University of the Witwatersrand, School of Statistics & Actuarial Science, retirement with effect of Jan 01, 2008.
2008- Sessional lecturer at the University of the Witwatersrand, School of Statistics and Actuarial Science.
Stochastic Processes in Finance, Point Processes, Reliability and Maintenance Theory
PhD-, Masters-, and Honours-students in Reliability and Maintenance Theory, Safety and Risk Analysis
Selected Papers in Peer-Reviewed Journals/Proceedings
1) Über eine Klasse von Inspektionsmodellen der Zuverlässig- keitstheorie. Math. Operationsforschungund Statistik 5(1974)3, 281-298.
2) A general preventive maintenance policy. Mathem. Operationsforsch. und Statistik 7(1976)6, 927-932.
3) Maximum availability under cost restrictions. ZAMM 57 (1977) 6, 347-349.
4) (with Klaus Fischer): On a basic equation of reliability theory. Microelectronics & Reliability 19 (1979), 367-369.
5) (with Klaus Fischer): General failure model applied to preventive maintenance policies. IEEE Transactions on Reliability R-29 (1980) 1, 39-41, including NAPS-document No. 03476-A.
6) Minimax inspection policies for single unit systems. Naval Research Logist. Quart. 28 (1981), 375-381.
7) Replacement policies based on system age and maintenance cost limits. Mathemat. Operationsfor- schung und Statistik, Ser. STATISTICS 12 (1981), 621-627.
8) A replacement policy based on limits for the repair cost rate. IEEE Transactions on Reliability R-31 (1982) 5, 401-403.
9) (with Lutz Sproß): An improved Abraham method for generating disjoint sums. IEEE Transactions on Reliability R-36(1987)1, 70-74.
10) (with Andreas Stark): Optimum topological layout of communication networks. Microelectronics and Reliability 29 (1989) 3, 387-391.
11) (with Lutz Sproß): Bounds on the reliability of binary coherent systems. IEEE Transactions on Reliability R-38
(1989) 4, 425-427.
12) A unifying approach to a class of replacement policies with minimal repair. Naval Research Logistics 40 (1993) 1, 58-75.
13) Total repair cost limit replacement policies. South African Journ. of Operations Res. (ORION) 13 (1997) 1/2, 37-44.
14) A general approach to total repair cost limit replacement policies. South African Journal of Operations Research (ORION), 15 (1999) 1/2, 67-75.
15) (with Bernd Anrig): Disjoint sum forms in reliability theory. South African Journ. of Operations Research (ORION), 16 (2000) 1, 75-86.
16) A replacement policy based on limiting the cumulative maintenance cost. Internat. Journ. on Reliability and Quality Management, 18 (2001) 1, pp 76-83.
17) Reliability preserving network transformation-Theory, applications and problems. Intern. Journ. of Reliability, Quality and Safety Engineering, 14(2007)3, 189-199.
18) Reliability analysis of communication networks. Publications of the International Centre for Mathematical & Computer Sciences (ICMCS ), 4(2009), 1-46, ISBN: 978 37246 3 0.
19) Repair cost limit maintenance policies and random marked point processes. Proc. of the 16th Annual Int. Conf. on Industrial Engineering-Theory, Applications and Practice. Stuttgart 2011: 57-62.
20) A contribution to general repair models and their application. Lecture Notes in Management Science, 4 (2012), 212-218.
1) Prophylaktische Erneuerung von Systemen (Preventive Renewal of Systems)
Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1976; Vieweg-Verlag, Braunschweig 1976, pp 186.
2) (with Peter Franken): Zuverlässigkeit und Instandhaltung-Mathematische Methoden (Reliability and Maintenance-Mathematical Methods). Verlag Technik, Berlin 1983, pp 315
Carl-Hanser-Verlag: Munich-Vienna, 1984. Radio i Svjas, Moscov 1988 (editor: I. Uschakov).
3) Zuverlässigkeits- und Instandhaltungstheorie (Reliability- and Maintenance Theory) Teubner: Stuttgart 1993, pp 312.
4) Stochastische Prozesse für Ingenieure (Stochastic Processes for Engineers) B. G. Teubner: Stuttgart 1997, pp 333. English edition (with L. Paul Fatti): Stochastic Processes and their Applications. Taylor and Francis: London, New York 2002, 2nd reprint: CRC Press, 2004.
5) Teubner Handbuch der Stochastik (Teubner Handbook of Stochastics), B.G. Teubner Publishing House, Stuttgart, Leipzig, Wiesbaden 2003, coauthored and coedited with D.C. Montgomery, pp 450.
6) Stochastic Processes in Science, Engineering and Finance, Chapman & Hall, CRC Press: Boca Raton, London, New York 2006, pp 417. With Solutions Manual, pp 120.
7) (with Peter Tittmann): Reliability and Maintenance-Networks and Systems. Mathematical Models. Chapman & Hall, CRC Press: Boca Raton, London, New York, 2012, pp 326.
University lecturer, team leader, consultant
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
Stochastic modelling in reliability, maintenance and safety analysis.