BiographyAuthor of more than four hundred publications, reports, and presentations.
Taught more than seventy courses.
Diploma of Honor, National Petroleum Engineering Society. 1995. For Outstanding Contributions to the Petroleum Industry.
Gold Medal, Russian Academy of Sciences. 1996. For Outstanding Work in the Area of Petroleum Science in 1996.
Specialist Invitation Program Speakers Award, NEDO (New Energy Development Organization, Government of Japan). 1987 and 1996. For Contributions to Coal Research.
Doctor of Sciences, Scientific Research Geological Exploration Institute (VNIGRI), St. Petersburg, Russia. 1997. For Exceptional Work in Petroleum Science.
Einstein Medal, Russian Academy of Sciences. 2001. In recognition of Outstanding Contributions and Service in the Field of Geologic Sciences.
Gold Medal - Scientists Without Frontiers, Russian Academy of Sciences. 2005. In recognition of Continuous Encouragement of Scientists to Work Together Across International Borders.
Methanex Distinguished Professor, University of Trinidad and Tobago. In Recognition of Excellence in Research. 2006.
Gold Medal – Giants of Science and Engineering, Russian Academy of Sciences. 2006. In recognition of Continued Excellence in Science and Engineering. 2006.
Doctorate in Petroleum Engineering. Dubna University, Moscow, Russia. In Recognition of Outstanding Contributions in the Field of Petroleum Engineering. 2012.
CD&W Inc., 1998-present
Consultant/Author/Lecturer on energy and environmental issues.
Western Research Institute, 1984-1998.
1990-1998. Chief Executive Officer.
1984-1990. Chief Scientific Officer and Executive Vice President.
Exxon Research and Engineering Company 1980-1984.
Alberta Research Council 1967-1980.
University of Manchester.
Research Fellow in Chemistry, 1965-1967.
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
(1) the properties and recovery of reservoir fluids, including heavy oil, and tar sand bitumen,
(2) refining conventional petroleum as well as heavy oil, tar sand bitumen, synthetic fuels, and biofuels,
(3) the properties of fuels, synthetic fuels, and biofuels,
(4) the properties, behavior, and processing of natural gas, including gas-to-liquids,
(5) the properties and behavior of coal, including coal liquids, and
(6) the properties and behavior of oil shale, including shale oil
(7) associated environmental and remediation technollgies
Antiquarian books and documents
Soccer (real Foosball)