BiographyAfter receiving a PhD in International Studies from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, in 2005, I taught and researched at Central University of Punjab, University of Mumbai and University of Jammu, India, from 2005 to 2012. I received Scholar of Peace Award (New Delhi) in 2007 and Kodikara Award (Colombo) in 2010. I was Visiting Fellow at Institute for Conflict Research, Belfast, UK in November 2008, Charles Wallace Fellow at Queen’s University Belfast in March-April 2010 and ICSSR-RAS Fellow at Institute of Oriental Studies, Moscow, in September 2010. I worked as a consultant for Internal Displacement Monitoring Center, Geneva in 2006 and 2010. I have published on issues related to conflict and peacebuilding. My recent publications include Conflict and Peace in Eurasia (editor, Routledge, 2013) and Making Kashmir Borderless (RCSS, Colombo, 2013). I am currently pursuing a second PhD at the Department of Conflict Resolution, Human Security and Global Governance, University of Massachusetts Boston. I am a Fellow at the Center for Peace, Development and Democracy and teach alternatively two courses: Introduction to Conflicts in South Asia and Kashmir Conflict: Dynamics, Costs and Peace Prospects at Osher Life Long Learning Institute at the same University.
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
● April-July 2012, Assistant Professor, Centre for South and Central Asian Studies, Central University of Punjab, India. Teaching and Research. (Full Time)
● June 2007- March 2012, Post Doctoral Research Associate, Centre for Central Eurasian Studies, University of Mumbai, Mumbai. Teaching and Research. Member, University of Mumbai, India. (Full Time)
● January 2005-May 2007, Post Doctoral Fellow, Project “Kashmir Across LoC,” and Editor Across LOC, Centre for Strategic and Defense studies, University of Jammu, India. Research.
● 2005-2006, Academic Counselor, Indira Gandhi National Open University, Jammu Centre, India.
● Osher Lifelong Learning Institute Course: Kashmir Conflict: Dimensions, Costs and Peace Prospects. University of Massachusetts Boston, Spring 2015.
● Osher Lifelong Learning Institute course: An Introduction to Conflicts in South Asia. University of Massachusetts Boston, Spring and Fall 2014.
● M.Phil courses: Political Economy of Globalization and Society and Culture in South Asia. Central University of Punjab Bathinda, Spring 2012.
● M.A. course: Central Eurasia in Socio-Historical and Geographical Perspective. University of Mumbai, 2007-2012.
● MPhil course: Russia in Global Affairs. University of Mumbai, 2007-2012.
● M.A. course: Peace and Conflict Studies, Indira Gandhi National Open University, Jammu Center, 2005-2006.
● Fall 2013, worked as Course Builder for the course Theories of Conflict Resolution for Professor Darren Kew.
● Part of Committee to develop MA course in International Studies, Central University of Punjab, Bathinda, 2012.
● Member syllabus revision committee for MA and MPhil in the Department of Central Eurasian Studies, University of Mumbai, 2007-2012. Revised MA courses: Central Eurasia in Geopolitical and Historical Perspective; Russia in World Affairs; and Geopolitics, Ethnic Contours and Developments in Trans-Caucasus. Revised MPhil course: Russia in Global Affairs (compulsory).
● Kodikara Award, Regional Centre for Strategic Studies (RCSS), Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2010.
● Scholar of Peace Award, Women in Security, Conflict Management and Peace (WISCOMP), New Delhi, India, 2007.
● Junior Research Fellowship, University Grant Commission, New Delhi, India, 2000-2004.
● Fellowship from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi to visit Moscow, Nov. 2003- Jan. 2004.
● Qualified National Eligibility Test for Lectureship (NET), India, December 1998.
● September 2010, ICSSR-RAS Fellow, Institute of Oriental Studies, Moscow, Russia.
● March -May 2010, Charles Wallace Fellow, School of History and Anthropology, Queen’s University Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK.
● November 2008, Visiting Fellow, Institute for Conflict Research, Belfast, UK.
● November 2003-January 2004, Research Fellow, Moscow State University, Moscow.
● Double Displacement in Orissa, Internal Displacement Monitoring Center, Geneva, 2010.
● Border and Development in Kashmir, CRRID, Chandigarh, India.
● Kargil Displaced in Kashmir, IDMC, Geneva, 2006.