A History of Western Political Thought is an energetic and lucid account of the most important political thinkers and the enduring themes of the last two and a half millennia. Written with students of the history of political thought in mind, the book:
* traces the development of political thought from Ancient Greece to the late twentieth century
* focuses on individual thinkers and texts
* includes 40 biographies of key political thinkers
* offers original views of theorists and highlights those which may have been unjustly neglected
* develops the wider themes of political thought and the relations between thinkers over time.
List of Biographies. Foreword. Part I: The Greeks Part II: Romans and Roman Catholics: From Polis to Cosmopolis Part III: Romans and Humanists: the Reinvention of Sovereignty Part IV: The Theory of the Social Contract Part V: Enlightenment and the Development of the Modern State Part VI: The Rise of Liberalism Part VII: Reactions to Liberalism 2 Part VIII: Reactions to Liberalism 3 Notes. Index.