33 Ways to Help with Writing Supporting Children who Struggle with Basic Skills
33 Ways to Help with Writing equips teachers and teaching assistants with a wide range of practical resources to help children who are having difficulties learning the basic skills of writing.
Offering a range of activities and games to engage children and encourage motivation in the classroom, this essential classroom companion provides ready-to-use material that doesn’t need lengthy forward preparation.
These practical and fun ideas incorporate a variety of learning styles, using kinaesthetic and auditory techniques, which put the emphasis on ‘games’ rather than ‘work’. The activities are especially suitable for teaching assistants working with individuals or small groups. 33 Ways to Help with Writing works step-by-step through practical activities which:
- keep children motivated and enjoying learning
- do not require extensive knowledge or experience from the adult
- are adult-led so children don't have the opportunity to repeat mistakes
- are grouped into different basic skills, so teachers can choose the activity best suited for the child’s needs
- have clear, concise and pedagogically sound reasons for the activity
- include extension activity where appropriate to challenge pupils.
@contents: Selected Contents: The series Acknowledgements Introduction Part A Beginnings 1. Sorting Game 2. From Letters to Sentences 3. Instant Writing 4. Disappearing Words 5. Musical Stops 6. Full Stop Game Part B Writing longer sentences 7. Verbs in Action 8. Walk this way 9. Snakes and Verbs 10. A noun crossword 11. Rob the Nest 12. Adjective Poem 13. Adjectives Antonyms 14. Signing Off 15. Moving Adverbs 16. Connectives Card Game 17. Connectives To and Fro Part C Improving Content 18. Musical sentences 19. Connect 3 20. All Change 21. Non-Stop Sentences 22. Cinderella Simile 23. Six Sizzling Sausages 24. How do you feel? 25. Guess the mood 26. Castle Adventure 27. Talk, Talk, Talk Part D Non-Fiction 28. Lingo 29. Musical Halves 30. Muddled emails 31. Information, Information, Information 32. 20 Questions 33. A Technical Crossword Glossary