A Practical Guide to Teaching English in the Secondary School
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after November 30, 2021
A Practical Guide to Teaching English in the Secondary School offers straightforward advice, inspiration and a wide range of tried and tested approaches to help you find success in the secondary English classroom. Covering all aspects of English teaching, it is designed for you to dip in and out of, and enable you to focus on specific areas of teaching, your programme or pupils' learning.
Fully updated to reflect what student and early career teachers see and experience when they enter the classroom, the second edition supports trainee and practicing teachers to teach in imaginative and creative ways to promote learning in English. Packed with ideas, resources, practical teaching activities and underpinned by the latest research into how children learn, the book examines the core areas of reading, writing and spoken English including:
- Plays, poetry, non-fiction, myths and legends, drama and Shakespeare
- Developing writing
- Creative grammar
- Talk and classroom dialogue
- Media and digital writing
- English across the curriculum
- Wellbeing through writing
- Literature and language post 16.
Including tools to support critical reflection, A Practical Guide to Teaching English in the Secondary School is an essential companion for all training and newly qualified English teachers.
Table of Contents
1. The English curriculum in context: a conversation through time Lorna Smith 2. The English curriculum in context: a conversation through time Ruth Newman 3. Sharing a Class Reader Lorna Smith and Lucy Kelly 4. Talk about texts: discussion of literature in the English classroom John Gordon 5. Reading Comprehension Julia Sutherland and Jo Westbrook 6. Teaching the Process of Writing Debra Myhill 7. Creative Grammar for Creative Teachers Debra Myhill 8. Reading and Writing Poetry Annabel Watson and Rhian Mulligan 9. Teaching Non-Fiction Reading and Writing Sharon Morgan 10. Shakespeare Susan Chapman 11. Teaching Plays Judith Kneen 12. Drama in English Helena Thomas 13. Storytelling, myths and legends Joan Foley 14. Media in English Rachel Roberts 15. Digital and Multimodal Writing Andrew McCallum 16. Post-16 Literature Barbara Bleiman 17. Post-16 Language Angela Goddard 18. English across the curriculum Judith Kneen 19. Writing Wellbeing: using reflective diary-writing to support English teacher wellbeing Lucy Kelly
Annabel Watson is Senior Lecturer in Language Education, School Direct Programme Leader, and Secondary English PGCE Course Leader at the University of Exeter, UK.
Ruth Newman is Senior Lecturer in Language Education teaching on the Secondary English PGCE and MA Ed in Language and Literacy at the University of Exeter, UK.