Written for Higher Education managers and administrators, A Practical Guide to University and College Management is a highly accessible text that offers practical guidance on how to manage the day-to-day life of universities. The authors take a proactive approach and offer a range of good practice examples and solutions, designed to resolve the dilemmas that arise in today’s rapidly changing higher education environment.
Drawing on a wealth of management experience, this edited collection pulls together advice and practical guidance from expert managers working in the field of Higher Education. Each chapter is underpinned by theoretical perspectives to support invaluable pragmatic hints, mini-case studies, practical examples, and sample guidelines. The book covers four main areas:
A Practical Guide to College and University Management will be of interest to Higher Education managers, administrators, and anyone looking for a pragmatic "how to" navigational guide that informs the working life of a university, from attracting students through to graduation. It offers managers and administrators essential training and support required to promote highly successful and efficient Higher Education Institutions, and is essential reading for anyone who works in university administration or aspires to do so.
Sally Brown is Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Assessment, Learning and Teaching at Leeds Metropolitan University. She has published widely on innovations in teaching, learning and particularly assessment.
Steve Denton is Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Registrar and Secretary at Leeds Metropolitan University bringing together University-wide student administrative and support services, including governance and legal matters, the academic registry, planning, student services, communication and marketing and widening access and participation.
List of Illustrations
1. Beyond Bureaucracy: Managing the University Year, Steve Denton with Sally Brown
PART I: Selecting and Inducting Students
2. Effective Marketing in Higher Education, Rosemary Stamp, Dennis Kelly and Anne Maruma
3. Making Students Welcome: The Admissions Process, Jean Grier, Roseanna Cross and Oluwatoyin Gladstone Oshun
4. Commencement of the Academic Year: Welcoming, Inducting and Developing Students, Michelle Morgan and Sally Brown
5. Establishing and Running a Scholarship Programme, James Forshaw
PART II: Managing Throughout the University Year
6. The Students’ Union Year, Mark Grayling and Gail Stephens
7. Managing Course Administration, Christine Child, Sue King, Rachel Lander and John Ryan
8. One Great Day: Organising Graduation Ceremonies, Pam Fearnley, Rachel Frost, Maz Brook and James Arthur
PART III: Assuring the Quality of the Student Learning Experience
9. Managing Assessment Systems and Processes, Sandra Mienczakowski, Paul Kelly, Christine Bexton and Ian Hamley
10. Dealing with Complaints and Appeals, Liz Buckton with Lis Child and Jackie Flowers
11. Scrutinising Quality: Working with External Examiners and Others to Maintain Standards, Katie Akerman and Phil Cardew
12. Launching the New University Presence: The Case of University Campus Suffolk, Peter Funnell and Tony Rich
13. Assuring the Quality of Educational Provision in Universities, John Dishman
PART IV: Maximising Student and Staff Engagement
14. Getting the Most from Staff: Using Talents to the Full, Stewart Harper, Sarah Gray, Sue North and Sally Brown with Kathy Ashton
15. University-Community Engagement: Analysing an Emerging Field, Max Farrar with Richard Taylor
16. Practical Examples of University-Community Engagement: Some Case Studies from Leeds Met, Sally Brown, David Ward, Chris Bailey, Pete Rodgers, Tina Conkar, Michael Gray, Brigid McClure, Inder Hunjan and Jill Adam
17. Employability: Realising the Potential of a University Education, Simon Barrie, Jacqueline Andrews, Laura Dean and Inta Heimanis
18. Conclusion: Leading the University beyond Bureaucracy, Sally Brown with Steve Denton
List of Contributors