A Step-by-Step Guide to Qualitative Data Coding is a comprehensive qualitative data analysis guide. It is designed to help readers to systematically analyze qualitative data in a transparent and consistent manner, thus promoting the credibility of their findings.
The book examines the art of coding data, categorizing codes, and synthesizing categories and themes. Using real data for demonstrations, it provides step-by-step instructions and illustrations for analyzing qualitative data. Some of the demonstrations include conducting manual coding using Microsoft Word and how to use qualitative data analysis software such as Dedoose, NVivo and QDA Miner Lite to analyze data. It also contains creative ways of presenting qualitative findings and provides practical examples.
After reading this book, readers will be able to:
- Analyze qualitative data and present their findings
- Select an appropriate qualitative analysis tool
- Decide on the right qualitative coding and categorization strategies for their analysis
- Develop relationships among categories/themes
- Choose a suitable format for the presentation of the findings
It is a great resource for qualitative research instructors and undergraduate and graduate students who want to gain skills in analyzing qualitative data or who plan to conduct a qualitative study. It is also useful for researchers and practitioners in the social and health sciences fields.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Qualitative Data Analysis
2. Review of Qualitative Approaches and their Data Analysis Methods
3. Understanding the Art of Coding Qualitative Data
4. Preparing Data to Code
5. Reflecting, Acknowledging and Bracketing Your Perspectives and Preconceptions
6. Documenting Personal Reflections and Analytical Process
7. Manually Assigning Codes to Data
8. Developing Categories and Themes
9. Connecting Themes and Developing Tables and Diagrams
10. Using QDA Miner Lite to Analyze Qualitative Data
11. Using NVivo 12 to Analyze Qualitative Data
12. Using Dedoose to Analyze Qualitative Data
13. Presenting Qualitative Findings
14. Ensuring Credibility of the Analysis Process and Findings
Philip Adu is a Methodology Expert at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology (TCSPP). He has spent over six years at TCSPP providing methodology support to doctoral students. He has designed and taught numerous research method courses. He is skilled in demystifying the qualitative analysis process, including how to use qualitative data analysis software (QDAS).
Featured Author Profiles