AQA Psychology for AS and A-level Year 1 is the definitive textbook for the new 2015 curriculum. Written by eminent psychologist Professor Michael Eysenck, in collaboration with a team of experienced A-level teachers and examiner, the book enables students not only to pass their exams with flying colours, but also to fully engage with the science of psychology. As well as covering the six core topics students will study, the book includes:
- Activities which test concepts or hypotheses, bringing theory to life
- Key research studies explained and explored, showing the basis on which theory has developed
- Case studies which show how people’s lives are affected by psychological phenomena
- Evaluation boxes which critically appraise key concepts and theories
- Self-assessment questions which encourage students to reflect on what they’ve learnt
- Section summaries to support the understanding of specific ideas – perfect for revision
- Exam hints which steer students towards complete and balanced answers
- Key terms defined throughout so students aren’t confused by new language
- 200 figures, tables and photos
- End of chapter further reading to enable students to develop a deeper understanding
- End of chapter revision questions and sample exam papers to consolidate knowledge and practice exam technique
- A full companion website with a range of further resources for both students and teachers, including revision aids and class materials
Incorporating greater coverage of research methods, as well as key statistical techniques, the sixth edition of this well-loved textbook continues to be the perfect introduction to psychology. Accessible yet rigorous, the book is the ideal textbook for students taking either the AS course or year 1 of the A-level.
Table of Contents
1 Preparing for the Exam 2 Social Influence 3 Memory 4 Attachment 5 Approaches in Psychology 6 Biopsychology 7 Psychopathology 8 Research Methods
Michael W. Eysenck is Professor of Psychology at Royal Holloway, University of London. He is the best-selling author of a number of introductory textbooks for A-level students and beyond.
"AQA Psychology provides all the necessary material for the new specification in a clear and concise way that makes it accessible to students of all levels. The exam tips and activities give students opportunities to apply their knowledge and develop the necessary skills to succeed. The study skills section enables students to get to grips with the demands of an A-level programme. I will definitely be recommending this to students and teachers within my department." – Liz Ridley, Curriculum Leader, East Norfolk Sixth Form College, UK
"The author has produced an outstandingly detailed and clear textbook for AS and A-level students, which acts as not only an academic resource, but also as an insightful introduction to the understanding of us all. The reader is treated to expansive coverage of topics relating to the new AS and A level AQA specifications, with an equal balance between description and evaluation, and a wide range of classic and up-to-date studies. Put in simple terms, learn from this book, and get a top grade. – Nik Le Saux, Head of Psychology, Brighton, Hove and Sussex Sixth Form College, UK
"Eysenck delivers across the specification excellent coverage of the content in his usual authoritative and academic style. It is an invaluable source for students and teachers; each chapter has great depth of content, whilst the section summaries and practice exam questions provide effective review. This text will ensure the reader has a firm grasp of the topics, particularly those that are being introduced with the new specification." – Clare Charles, Rutland County College, UK
"The language used is clear and pitched at a suitable level for A-level study. Although the text has the feeling of an ‘unfolding story’ the exploration of complex concepts provides plenty of challenge for students of higher ability. However, the key terms are well defined, which will help less-able students grasp the more complex ideas. There are also everyday examples of how the research is relevant that will make it easier for students to apply their knowledge. Previously I have had to use several textbooks to get the range of research for students to compare/contrast and evaluate successfully. I now feel that this book will provide the coverage needed without having to resort to buying more than one class text for AS." – Anne Wareham, Queensbury Academy, Dunstable, UK
"The book is clearly written and structured so that it is easy for students to find the information they need. The specification is broken down into bullet points at the start of each chapter, providing a useful checklist for students when they are revising. The exam tips and techniques are also particularly useful." – Rebecca Bridges, East Norfolk Sixth Form College, UK
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.