An Introduction to Pablo González Casanova
Intellectual of the Dignified Rebelliousness
- Available for pre-order on March 24, 2023. Item will ship after April 14, 2023
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
This book is an introduction to Pablo González Casanova, giant of Latin American sociology. It examines his work across history, sociology, political science, and anthropology, exploring in depth his writings on the university, democracy, the new sciences, alternatives to capitalism, the humanities, equity with social justice, patriarchal domination, and the struggle for planet earth.
This book provides insights into a foundational Latin American perspective on global realities. It argues that Pablo González Casanova contributes original elements for the construction of a critical theory in the social sciences and humanities of Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean. With an enriching interdisciplinary perspective, this book will be of interest to scholars from a range of specialized interests in sociology, political science, philosophy, anthropology, cultural studies, scientific epistemology, methodology and critical thinking in the alternative field to capitalism.
Table of Contents
1. Pablo González Casanova: precursor of the Postcolonial Studies in Mexico
2. Sociology of exploitation, State, social classes, and internal colonialism
3. Universal democracy and a critique of Anglo-Eurocentric political science
4. Approaching and critically distancing dependency theory in Latin America
5. Theoretical and methodological contributions to critical social thinking
6. Interdiscipline, New Sciences, Humanities and Complexity
7. The people, the left and the democracy of those from below
8. Pablo Gonzalez Casanova's thought of the South
Jaime Torres Guillén is full-time Professor in the Department of Sociology at the University of Guadalajara. He is the editor of the biannual journal Vínculos. Sociología, análisis y opinión and the journal Piezas en Diálogo Filosofía y Ciencias Humanas. He has published several journalistic essays, academic articles, and book chapters on social and philosophical problems. He is the author of Dialéctica de la imaginación. Pablo González Casanova, una biografía intelectual. His latest book is entitled Gramáticas del reconocimiento en México. Contribución a una teoría de la justicia como análisis social.
Jaime Antonio Preciado Coronado is Professor-Researcher at the University of Guadalajara, in the Department of Iberian and Latin American Studies. He was Former President of the Latin American Sociological Association (ALAS). His lines of research and publication deal with Geopolitics of globalization, integration and democracy in the Americas, regional political geography, and electoral processes. He is co-founder of the journal Geopolítica(s) Estudios sobre Espacio y Poder and Co-Director of the journal Espiral Estudios de Estado y Sociedad.