Covering everything you need to know about teaching within the UK higher education system, this book is the ideal introduction for anyone looking to start their teaching career.
A must-read guide for international staff new to teaching in UK higher education, this key text focuses on what is particular and often baffling to those who are new to higher education teaching in the UK. With practical tips and advice rooted in relevant theory, it is an invaluable resource to guide you through the initial teaching experience. Breaking down all of the aspects involved in teaching, learning and assessing in UK higher education, this book covers:
- The key features of UK higher education – particularly how it might differ from other systems
- How courses and the curriculum are designed
- How to support learning within your teaching practice
- Advice on marking and giving worthwhile feedback
- How to develop your own professional practice
- A full glossary of key terms
An Introduction to Teaching in UK Higher Education is a one-stop resource for those looking to begin a career in UK higher education. Particularly useful for new international staff, it will also be of interest to those looking to improve their teaching practice.
1. Key Features of UK Higher Education 2. Education in the UK 3. How Students Learn and What the Implications are for Teaching 4. Curriculum and Course Design 5. Teaching for Supporting Learning 6. Assessing and Giving Feedback 7. Supporting Students 8. On-going Development of Your Professional Practice 9. Key Terms, Glossaries and Abbreviations
"This book provides international staff, who are new to teaching, with a clear and concise insight into UK Higher Education. It draws on a survey of international teachers who have already made this transition, ensuring that any concerns you have are addressed. The shared wealth of experience in this field, has enabled the authors to bring together a complete and comprehensive book designed to address the topics and issues which other textbooks assume their readers already understand. Provided with useful practical tips and links to further resources, this book will prepare new international staff, ensuring that they are informed and supported as they make the transition into teaching in UK Higher Education."
— Professor Graham Kendall, Pro Vice Chancellor, University of Nottingham and Provost and CEO, University of Nottingham Malaysia