An Introduction to the Social Geography of India
Concepts, Problems, and Prospects
- Available for pre-order on March 16, 2023. Item will ship after April 6, 2023
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
This book discusses the significance of social geography, a multi-dimensional concept encompassing social health, social security, and social ethos. It presents the socio-spatial dynamics of the population in India through an understanding of the various issues related to migration, urbanization, unemployment, poverty, and public health. With a thorough analysis of various social indicators relating to health, education, income and employment, the volume presents a detailed picture of the social geography of India.
It discusses in detail,
- the origin, nature and scope of social geography, its relations with other social sciences and applications;
- the nature and importance of social well-being along with welfare geography and the role of welfare state in ensuring social well-being;
- the population of India and its attributes;
- the status and spatial patterns of various social indicators relating to health, education and income and employment;
- the composite indices which aggregate several social indicators such as the Human Development Index, Multidimensionally Poverty Index, Global Hunger Index; Gross National Happiness; Sustainable Developmental Goals Index; and Freedom Index, etc., in the context of India.
This comprehensive book will be useful for students, researchers and teachers of social geography, human geography, population geography, demography, and sociology. The book can also be used by students preparing for exams like civil services, UPSC, PSC and other competitive exams.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Social Geography 2. Welfare and Social Well-Being 3. Population 4. Education 5. Health 6. Income and Employment
7. Measuring Social Well-Being
Asif Ali is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Geography, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi. He is an alumnus of the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU). He has worked as a research fellow with the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) and as a research assistant with the University Grants Commission (UGC). He teaches undergraduate and postgraduate courses in social geography, economic geography and cultural geography, geographical thought, digital cartography and regional development. He has teaching experience of more than 10 years at the university level. He has authored three books and has more than twenty research publications to his credit. His research interests are in social and cultural geography, environmental issues, geo-political issues, remote sensing and GIS applications in geographical studies.
Hemant is a PhD research scholar in the Department of Geography, Faculty of Natural Sciences in Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi. He has obtained his graduate degree in geography with distinction from Jamia Millia Islamia. He is an alumnus of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU). He is a University Grants Commission - Junior Research Fellowship (UGC- JRF) awardee. He has specialization in social geography, social identities, regional development, population geography, health geography and disaster management.