This book discusses the significance of social geography, a multidimensional sub-discipline of georgraphy encompassing social health, social security and social ethos. It presents the socio-spatial dynamics of the population in India through an understanding of the various issues related to migration, urbanisation, unemployment, poverty and public health. With a thorough analysis of various social indicators relating to health, education, income and employment, the volume presents a detailed picture of the social geography of India.
It discusses in detail,
- The origin, nature and scope of social geography, its relations with other social sciences and applications
- The nature and importance of social well-being along with welfare geography and the role of welfare state in ensuring social well-being
- The population of India and its attributes
- The status and spatial patterns of various social indicators relating to health, education and income and employment
- The composite indices which aggregate several social indicators such as the Human Development Index, Multidimensional Poverty Index and Sustainable Developmental Goals Index in the context of India.
This comprehensive book will be useful for students, researchers and teachers of social geography, human geography, population geography, demography and sociology. The book can also be used by students preparing for exams like civil services, UPSC, PSC and other competitive exams.
1. Introduction to Social Geography 2. Welfare and Social Well-Being 3. Population 4. Education 5. Health 6. Income and Employment
7. Measuring Social Well-Being