Educational leaders are seeing the increasing need for practical transformative models and theories to address academic, cultural, and socio-economic gaps separating learners at all levels of the educational system. Applied Critical Leadership in Education explores a leadership model arising from critical theory and critical pedagogy traditions that transforms status quo educational practices. Providing a range of diverse voices of practicing leaders from prekindergarten through higher education, explicit ties to theory and practice are drawn, making leadership for social justice accessible, feasible, and more practical for aspiring and practicing leaders alike.
Applied Critical Leadership in Education provides an innovative way for aspiring and practicing educational leaders to think about and apply leadership practice suited for the educational challenges of today that are necessary for change.
"These authors weave theory and practice around the issues of educational inequity and change, thus, creating a remarkable piece of thought-provoking and highly significant work. This book should be read by all who have a vested interest in effective educational leadership, educational change, diversity and equity in public, private, and charter schools."
--Anthony Normore, Associate Professor of Educational Leadership, California State University, Dominguez Hills
"Finally, a book that has identity at the core of one's leadership. Santamaría and Santamaría have pulled together a collection of case studies that will inspire students, practitioners, and scholars to think critically about our own practices and ways in which we all face the challenges of educating in the 21st century."
--Frank Hernandez, Assistant Professor and Director of the Center for Excellence in Urban Teaching, Hamline University
List of Figures and Tables
Part I: Early Childhood Education and Elementary School Settings
2. Leadership Responsive to Early Childhood Education: Not the Least of These
3. Principal Leadership in an Underperforming Elementary School: The Titanic Syndrome
4. Applied Critical Leadership for Native Education in Mainstream Schools and Districts: Leading by Example
Part II: Middle and Secondary School Settings
5. Middle and High School Applications of Critical Leadership: Voices from the Fringe
6. Applied Critical Leadership in Secondary Education: Teacher Leadership for Change
7. Secondary School Leadership for Social Justice and Equity: The Way Eyes See It
Part III: Higher Education Settings
8. Applied Critical Leadership in Higher Education: From the Director’s Chair of Student Affairs
9. Academic Affairs and Higher Education: Applied Critical Leadership in the Ivory Tower
Part IV: Conclusion
10. The Case for Applied Critical Leadership in Pre-Kindergarten through Higher Education