The purpose of this book is to offer professionals working with children with special educational needs (SEN) a compilation of tried and tested themed lessons, designed to excite and involve children in developing their creative art skills. Each lesson is carefully planned with step by step instructions to assist teaching and learning in small group settings. This resource equips professionals with an understanding of how to prepare and deliver a good art lesson that will enable the children to express their natural creativity and achieve pleasing results.
- step by step, tried and tested lesson plans devised by an experienced and qualified art teacher
- learning outcomes linked to the National Art Curriculum
- illustrated throughout with the children's own art work
- useful hints and visual teaching aids for introducing new techniques
- themed lessons to cover the year or to dip into as you choose
- progressive learning, to achieve confident art skills and knowledge.
Table of Contents
Theme 1: Pattern and Colour
Theme 2: Animals- past and present
Theme 3: May Festival Celebrations: Intergenerational Art
Theme 4: Halloween- October 31
Theme 5: Celebrate Christmas
Theme 6: Create a Picture Story
Theme 7: Portraits from Life or from a Photograph
Theme 8: In the Style of …
Theme 9: Animal-letter tiles in Two Lessons
Theme 10: Drawing from Observation 1 and 2
Maureen Glynn is a qualified art teacher and artist. She has taught art in UK primary, secondary and special schools for 19 years. Lately, she has been teaching art to 7-13 year old children, in small SEN groups, in mid-west Ireland.
Featured Author Profiles
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.