Bildung in the Digital Age explores the challenges and potentials of digitalization for educational theory and practice and identifies how the pedagogical concept of Bildung can be used to meet these demands.
Discussing the educational landscape of a pandemic and post-pandemic world, the book describes how digitalization changes the media foundation of learning and teaching. It further raises questions of how we could think about Bildung in a digitalized world, how Bildung-based online teaching and learning can be implemented, and whether it is possible to understand Bildung and its emphasis on individual freedom and self-determination as a counter-concept to digital surveillance capitalism.
The book will appeal to academics, researchers, and postgraduate students in the fields of digital learning, educational theory, and media education.
Section A – The Epistemology of Bildung-Based Teaching and Learning
1. Bildung and Technology: Historical and Systematic Relationships
2. Bildung in a Digital World: The social construction of future in education
3. Deconstructing the Virtues of Openness and its Contribution to Bildung in the Digital Age
Daniel Otto and Michael Kerres
4. Beyond Numerical Rationality: Bildung under the Auspices of Digital Capitalism
5. Limitations of Pedagogical Interventions: Recognition and Agency in the Context of Digital Media-related Bildung
Michi S. Fujii, Nadia Kutscher, Klara-Marie Peters
Section B – Bildung-Based Teaching and Learning in the Digital Age
6. Bildung Learning as a media-pedagogical challenge
7. Student virtual collaboration as messy entanglements of Bildung
8. A Conceptualization of digital bullying: A study on teachers´ and pupils´ perceptions of digital bullying
9. Bildung-Orientated Learning in Practice – an E-Learning Criteria Checklist
Birte Heidkamp-Kergel & David Kergel
Section C – Online Teaching and Learning in Times of Crises
10. Digitalization of teaching and learning: Practical insights after the Covid-19 transition
11. Utopian Imagination, Critical Thinking, and Encouragement to Act: New Ways of Teaching in Times of Crises
Marieke Fröhlich and Eva Maria Hinterhuber
12. Teaching Concepts: On the Power of Thinking in Concepts in 21st Century Learning and Teaching