Bullying in North American Schools is an exciting compilation of research on bullying in school-aged youth by a representative group of researchers, including developmental, social, counseling, school, and clinical psychologists across North America.
This new edition:
This text will help your students understand how to prevent bullying behavior and how to select and manage intervention efforts in schools and school districts.
1. Expanding the Social-Ecological Framework of Bullying Among Youth, Espelage, D. L., & Swearer, S.M.
Part I: Individual Characteristics Associated With Bullying
2. Gender and Bullying: Moving Beyond Mean Level Differences to Consider Conceptions of Bullying, Processes by which Bullying Unfolds, and Cyber Bullying, Underwood, M. K., & Rosen, L. H.
3. Why Does Being Bullied Hurt So Much?: Insights from Neuroscience, Vaillancourt, T., Hymel, S., & McDougall, P.
4. Bullying among Students with Disabilities: Impact and Implications, Rose, C. A.
5. Internalizing Problems in Students Involved in Bullying and Victimization: Implications for Intervention, Swearer, S.M., Collins, A., Haye-Radliff, K., & Wang, C.
6. Unwanted sexual and harassing experiences: From School to Text Messaging, Ybarra, M. L., Espelage, D. L., Martin, S.
Part II: Peer Characteristics Associated With Bullying
7. Teaching Practices, Classroom Peer Ecologies, and Bullying Behaviors among Schoolchildren, Rodkin, P.C., & Gest, S.D.
8. Part of the Problem and Part of the Solution: The Role of Peers in Bullying, Dominance, and Victimization During the Transition From Primary School to Secondary School, Pellegrini, A.D., Van Ryzin, M.J.
9. Sidestepping the Jingle Fallacy: Bullying, Aggression, and the Importance of Knowing the Difference, Hawley, P.H., Stump, K.N., & Ratliff, J.
Part III: Classroom Characteristics Associated With Bullying
10. Teachers' Attitudes Toward Bullying, Holt, M.K., Keyes, M., & Koenig, B.
11. Girls, Boys, and Bullying in Preschool: The Role of Gender in the Development of Bullying, Hanish, L.D., Hill, A., Gosney, S., Fabes, R.A., & Martin, C.L.
12. Classroom Ecologies that Support or Discourage Bullying, Doll, B., Song, S., Champion, A., & Jones, K.
Part IV: Beyond the Classroom: Considering School Climate, Family Relationships, Social Support, and Innovative School Partnerships
13. School Climate and Change in Personality Disorder Symptom Trajectories Related to Bullying: A Prospective Study, Kasen, S., Johnson, J.G., Chen, H., Crawford, T.N., & Cohen, P.
14. The Role of Social Support in the Lives of Students Involved in Bullying, Demaray, M.K., & Malecki, C.K.
15. Family Relationships of Bullies and Victims, Duncan, R.C.
16. Considerations when Measuring Outcomes to Assess for the Effectiveness of Bullying- and Aggression-Prevention Programs in the Schools, Leff, S.S., Freedman, M.A., MacEvoy, J.P., & Power, T.P.
Part V: Effective Prevention and Intervention Programs
17. Bully Busters: A Resource for Schools and Parents to Prevent and Respond to Bullying, Horne, A.M., Bell, C.D., Raczynski, K.A., & Whitford, J.L.
18. Integrating Strategies for Bullying, Sexual Harassment, and Dating Violence Prevention: The Expect Respect Elementary School Project 6/24/09, Rosenbluth, B., Whitaker, D.J., Valle, L.A., & Ball, B.
19. Overview of Bully-Proofing your School, Plog, A., Porter, B., et al.
20. Teacher Support of Bullying Prevention: The good, the bad, and the promising, Frey, K.S., Jones, D.C., Hirschstein, M.K., & Edstrom, L.V.
21. Design and Analysis of a Randomized Controlled Trial of Steps to Respect: A School-Based Bullying Prevention Program, Low, S.M., Smith, B.H., Fernandez, K., Hanson, K., & Haggerty, K.P.
22. Implementation of the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program in American Schools: Lessons Learned From the Field, Limber, S. P.