© 2003 – Routledge
• Provides detailed information on
· the functions of assessment;
· how to construct, administer, and interpret the results of teacher-developed assessment techniques; and
· how to interpret the results of externally developed instruments such as standardized tests.
• Both traditional and newer, alternative assessment techniques are covered.
• Advantages and disadvantages of each assessment technique are discussed.
• A companion website helps both instructors and students obtain additional information on topics of special interest to them.
• Numerous examples of the principles and procedures make it easy for students to understand the material.
• The highly practical nature of this book stems from the focus on how assessment intertwines with other everyday activities in classrooms.
• Measurement theory and computational procedures that are unlikely to be used by classroom teachers are de-emphasized, producing a textbook that provides comprehensive coverage without being unnecessarily technical.
Part I: Introduction to Classroom Assessment
Chapter 1: Assessment in Elementary and Secondary Classrooms
Chapter 2: Teaching and Assessment: The Instructional Process
Chapter 3: Characteristics of Assessments
Chapter 4: Overview of Assessment Techniques
Part II: Alternative Assessment Techniques
Chapter 5: Informal Assessments
Chapter 6: Performance-Based Assessments
Chapter 7: Portfolio Assessments
Part III: Traditional Assessment Techniques
Chapter 8: Objective Test Items
Chapter 9: Subjective Test Items
Part IV: Additional Assessment Issues
Chapter 10: Grading Systems
Chapter 11: Interpreting Standardized Tests
Chapter 12: Assessing Group Work
Chapter 13: Assessing Affective Characteristics
Appendix A: The Standards for Teacher Competence in the Educational Assessment of Students
Appendix B: The Code of Fair Testing Practices in Education
Appendix C: A Guide to Descriptive Statistics
Classroom Assessment Glossary
To gain access to the instructor resources for this title, please visit the Instructor Resources Download Hub.
You will be prompted to fill out a registration form which will be verified by one of our sales reps.