• Provides detailed information on
· the functions of assessment;
· how to construct, administer, and interpret the results of teacher-developed assessment techniques; and
· how to interpret the results of externally developed instruments such as standardized tests.
• Both traditional and newer, alternative assessment techniques are covered.
• Advantages and disadvantages of each assessment technique are discussed.
• A companion website helps both instructors and students obtain additional information on topics of special interest to them.
• Numerous examples of the principles and procedures make it easy for students to understand the material.
• The highly practical nature of this book stems from the focus on how assessment intertwines with other everyday activities in classrooms.
• Measurement theory and computational procedures that are unlikely to be used by classroom teachers are de-emphasized, producing a textbook that provides comprehensive coverage without being unnecessarily technical.
Table of Contents
Part I: Introduction to Classroom Assessment
Chapter 1: Assessment in Elementary and Secondary Classrooms
Chapter 2: Teaching and Assessment: The Instructional Process
Chapter 3: Characteristics of Assessments
Chapter 4: Overview of Assessment Techniques
Part II: Alternative Assessment Techniques
Chapter 5: Informal Assessments
Chapter 6: Performance-Based Assessments
Chapter 7: Portfolio Assessments
Part III: Traditional Assessment Techniques
Chapter 8: Objective Test Items
Chapter 9: Subjective Test Items
Part IV: Additional Assessment Issues
Chapter 10: Grading Systems
Chapter 11: Interpreting Standardized Tests
Chapter 12: Assessing Group Work
Chapter 13: Assessing Affective Characteristics
Appendix A: The Standards for Teacher Competence in the Educational Assessment of Students
Appendix B: The Code of Fair Testing Practices in Education
Appendix C: A Guide to Descriptive Statistics
Classroom Assessment Glossary
Featured Author Profiles
- Download All (ZIP 1,603KB)
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
- Chapter 7
- Chapter 8
- Chapter 9
- Chapter 10
- Chapter 11
- Chapter 12
- Chapter 13
To gain access to the instructor resources for this title, please visit the Instructor Resources Download Hub.
You will be prompted to fill out a registration form which will be verified by one of our sales reps.